• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bike Rider hit by a taxi van

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hitinhawaii

Hawaii Island of Maui....

I was riding my bike on a road that had no bike lanes or sidewalks, and i went to turn onto another street, i looked and saw no cars, but when i turned a taxi van hit me, and I flew off of my bike into the street. his mirror and antenna broke, now he wants me to pay him $1200 to fix it... Do i have to pay him or does that go through insurance, can he sue me? ii have never been hit by a car before and i am curious as to what can and might happen... Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank youWhat is the name of your state?

moburkes

Hawaii Island of Maui....

I was riding my bike on a road that had no bike lanes or sidewalks, and i went to turn onto another street, i looked and saw no cars, but when i turned a taxi van hit me, and I flew off of my bike into the street. his mirror and antenna broke, now he wants me to pay him $1200 to fix it... Do i have to pay him or does that go through insurance, can he sue me? ii have never been hit by a car before and i am curious as to what can and might happen... Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank youWhat is the name of your state?
Were you riding with the flow of traffic or against it? Were you making a right or left turn? Where were you hit - from behind, from the right side, etc?

hitinhawaii

I was riding with traffic, and I turned left, and he hit me on my left side. There are no street lights, stop signs or sidewalks where I was, but i work on a cruise ship and that's the only way we can go to get out of the pier.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was riding with traffic, and I turned left, and he hit me on my left side. There are no street lights, stop signs or sidewalks where I was, but i work on a cruise ship and that's the only way we can go to get out of the pier.
Did you signal your intent to turn?
Honestly, it sounds like you "cut him off"...

ecmst12

If he had the right of way, then the accident was your fault and you will be liable for his damages. Though $1200 worth of damage for getting hit by a bike sounds a little steep, did you see the estimate? I don't know if any insurance would cover this, possibly homeowners/renters, I wouldn't think auto insurance would cover it.

moburkes

If he had the right of way, then the accident was your fault and you will be liable for his damages. Though $1200 worth of damage for getting hit by a bike sounds a little steep, did you see the estimate? I don't know if any insurance would cover this, possibly homeowners/renters, I wouldn't think auto insurance would cover it.
Solely based on the OPs response, he wasn't looking and he was at fault for being hit. I agree that the damages sound kinda high. Homeowner's insurance might cover it under liability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">