• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Blamed for accident I did not have

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xxroguexx

What is the name of your state? NJ

I was in a parking lot in Philadelphia, PA. The parking attendant claimed that I clipped the vehicle next to mine and pulled the vehicles bumper off. I was in a hurry to get to a party and instead of waiting for the police to come, I gave the attendant my name and mailing address, as well as my phone number. When the owner of the vehicle returned, they called me and I came to the lot. I don't think I clipped the guys car, but explained that I would be willing to work things out with him to avoid any hassles. Then he got nasty and called the police. I waited around for a while and started to get angry that I was trying to be nice and now I am getting shafted (waiting around, blamed for something I did not do) so I left the parking lot. A week or so later I got a letter from the guys insurance company asking me to contact them. I ignored it. Another week and a letter from the attorney. I ignore it. All I gave them was my PO Box - so another 2 weeks pass and now I get a letter to my home address. All the letter says is they are representing this guy and to forward the letter to my insurance and call them. This firm is located in Philadelphia and I am in New Jersey. They don't mention anything about my car (license, make, etc.). I don't want to call and get into it with these folks, but I am not sure what to do. Any advice?

S

seniorjudge

You left the scene of an accident twice; you may have criminal problems as well as civil problems.

In any event, you will get sued, whether you call them or not.

It's really up to you what you want to do.

xxroguexx

Well.. I am confused. I did not have an accident. There was no "scene" for me to leave. I "think" the attendant must have done this and was trying to blame me for it rather then lose his job. I was just trying to be helpful. Also this occured on private property (the parking lot). Can people really just blame others for stuff and cause them all kinds of grief?

teflon_jones

The police were called because of damage to the vehicle. There's a witness that said you did it. They called the police, and you left the scene. If you didn't do it, then explain that to your insurance company. You need to contact your insurance company about this.

And yes, people can claim you did something you didn't do. It's called lying.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">