• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bodily Injury limits exceed medical??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

las365

I'm pretty good, I should go to bed because I do have to work tomorrow.
We both used to be around here a lot when I first discovered this forum, but I've been away a bit due to family and job demands. It was nice to pop back in and see you are back, too. :)

Country Living

You have $100K in PIP? In Texas? The max is $10K in Texas.
You need to check again - I also live in The Great State. I noticed the MP limit was raised to $100k last year and when I checked on PIP at year-end it also went up to $100K. If your insurance company is the Big One in San Antonio, log online to see the different limits. :D Be sure and quote yourself the VERY high BI limit and you'll be shocked (unless you live in Houston) as to how cheap it is to go to that amount of coverage.

Hi, Mo... yes, I know UMPD wasn't a part of our conversation. I mentioned it initially in reference to my comp/coll statement. It's just a habit to run UM/UIM/UMPD together.

ecmst12

PIP/Med Pay only covers your medical bills. If you want coverage for non-economic damages or lost wages or anything like that if you are hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver, you need UM/UIM.

UMPD isn't available in all states, and if you have collision coverage it may not be necessary. Of course in a few states it is mandatory.

Country Living

"Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) helps pay for expenses resulting from an auto accident for you or your passengers, regardless of fault. Eligible expenses generally include medical, funeral, disability and lost income."

ecmst12

I guess that depends on the policy and the state. My pip doesn't pay for lost wages, and lost wages is a separate coverage in some states.

I still think it's a good idea to have UM/UIM.

moburkes

Yes, PIP coverage is state specific. Some states have both PIP and MP. Some have one but not the other.
UM/UIM is inexpensive. And it can be combined with PIP/MP. No reason, really, not to have both.

moment2moment

Signing over a medical release of records??

Hi again. I do want to first thank EVERYONE for taking time out of their day to bother with my problems... It means a lot to me!

Okay my other questions that came about today....The other guy's insurance adjuster called me again today. He wanted to put me in a rental....I should be getting a check for my car damages within a week, so to me.. why bother??? I have been with out for 3 weeks and 2 days. 2nd> He said he wants me to sign a medical release in order to pull my medical records for Kaiser, St.Marys, and all hospitals... he is was VERY addiment on this. (which made me more nervous) I have already been collecting BOTH bills and actual medical reports that pertain to the accident. What do you recommend on me signing this release??? I really don't feel comfortable doing that. I was just telling Kaiser to send them all to me and I will send them to him..... Maybe I'm wrong?? Please advise. Dos it matter who they come from? Or can I foward them to him? I have started my demand letter and was going to send everything all together....maybe a bad idea????

ecmst12

I still reccomend that you talk to a lawyer before you say another word to the adjuster about your injuries. You are probably going to need to sign the release either way, but get advice from a professional first.

You don't have to accept the rental if you don't want to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">