• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bodyshop will not honor estimate- please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

layperson

What is the name of your state? CA

I live in a small town in CA. On 7/12/02 I took my car to a bodyshop for an estimate on hood damage. I spoke with an "estimator" at which time he quoted me $764. I told him at the time of the estimate, I will be taking my car in several months after the estimate due to my financial situation. He was agreeable to this setup.

Today (1/06/03) I took my car in to the same body shop but I was told they would not honor the estimate since the gentleman that gave me the prior estimate was a "retard and incompetent" and thus fired shortly after August of 2002. I was given a second estimate for $2,000. The disparity was due to their inability to fix the hood so they must replace it.

Both the estimates look the same with the specifics such as my name and other personal information, VIN and other vehicle specifics, a detailed breakdown of the labor, parts, and paint, without an expiration date of the estimate.

This is the only body shop in town who can guarantee all the work done for the life of my car.

My first question is:
Is the body shop bound to the prior estimate?

I have spoken with the Bureau of Automotive Repair and have been told the shop must perform as per the prior agreement. I filed a preliminary complaint. In reliance of the estimate, I rented a car locked in at a weekly rate and made other arrangements. To take my car out of the shop would be very difficult for me since I have to break the agreement with the car rental company and my work.

My second question is:
Since I filed a prelim complaint, does this preserve my right to compel the body shop the honor the prior estimate subsequent the payment of the higher price and completion of the work promised? I just filed to make a note to the BAR to avoid any appearance of buyer's remorse.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">