• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broke Ankle on Someone else's property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

Isabel1970

While walking down the street during Mardi Gras (it was crowded and raining) - I fell on someone's driveway. The part where I fell in at had sunken in and was much lower than the rest of the driveway and sidewalk, but I couldn't tell that at the time as the sunken part was full of water. I thought the puddle was just a small one, to step in it and keep walking - but it was MUCH deeper than that (about 4 to 5"). The fall resulted in a broken fibula (broken ankle); tendonitis of my knee; and some nerve damage to the foot and toes. I haven't contacted the owner of the property as of yet (it's an apartment building), but I did save all of my medical bills, and I do have witnesses to the fact that I fell (neighbors of the apt. building where I fell, my husband, and my daughter, and the resulting immediate pain I was in. According to the neighbors, the driveway has been in that condition for a long time. I was taken by ambulance to the nearest hopsital, so there is a report on file with someone (? who ?). My question is - is it too late to do anything about getting these bills paid? I don't know what the statute of limitations would be about falling on someone's property. I didn't expect to have it come to this, as I figured my health ins. would take care of most of it, but it didn't. I was out of work for a week, and was unable to walk for almost 2 months (I was in a wheelchair until I received a walking cast). My bills are now almost $600 and that is just too much to let it slide. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">