• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bumper Dent/Crack - Parked Vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

syda

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? New York State

------

Ok so here's briefly what happened:

It was 2am and lightly raining, a situation arised where I had to leave my house in a hurry. So I walked outside and got in my car which was parked in my driveway (the driveway is unlit and I have no control over the lighting since it's an apartment situation), warmed it up (seeing how it's cold out right now here in NY), turned on my headlights, buckled up, and put my car in reverse. After putting the vehicle in reverse I looked out my back window unable to see anything due to the driveway being dark, my rear window being tinted, the rain that was falling, and the temporary adjustment from looking from light (my headlights) to dark (the back window of the vehicle). After about 5-6 feet of moving at less than 5mph my car hit something, at first I thought it was a garbage can, but after that to my surprise I found a Dark Green vehicle parked behind me. I had the person who owned the vehicle check and see if there was anything wrong that night, and he said no there wasn't. I asked this twice . But the following morning I was told otherwise. Seems my tow hitch must have punctured his front bumper upon impact.

My car is a 2002 Ford Explorer and his car was a 2003 Toyota Highlander.

I share my apartment with a roommate, and we have a mutual understanding that no one is to use the driveway whenever the other's car is there first. There was ample street parking such that any company could have parked anywhere they pleased. But instead his company (friend) decided to park behind my car in my driveway, blocking me in at 2am.

Is there anything I can do about this matter? Or am I purely at fault?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">