• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Burned at home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

infocused

I was burned in a house file at my parents home while trying to put it out.I did,thank God.I consider myself a 'boarder'(I pay to stay there).I suffered 1st.,2nd.,and 3rd. degree burns on my neck,ear,legs,and arm.Can I recoup any of my lost time for wages,annual leave,medical bills?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

infocused said:
I was burned in a house file at my parents home while trying to put it out.I did,thank God.I consider myself a 'boarder'(I pay to stay there).I suffered 1st.,2nd.,and 3rd. degree burns on my neck,ear,legs,and arm.Can I recoup any of my lost time for wages,annual leave,medical bills?
My response:

Assuming that your parents had a homeowner's insurance policy, you are entitled to claim your medical expenses, up to the limits of that coverage. However, that's all you're entitled to under the policy. You can't sue your parents for anything, either. That's because there is a specific exclusion in the policy for family members suing other family members.

Well, let me backtrack, just a little. You could sue your parents, but don't expect the insurance company to pay for their defense or any damages you might win against your parents - due to that exclusion.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">