• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

burned sevearly by non-dairy creamer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bigsexxxytom

Short Story: I was sevearly burned by a flash fire created with non-dairy creamer. No where on the package did it state that the product was flamable. Am I intitled to some form of compensation from the company that made/sold the Non-dairy creamer? I'm from Louisiana.

Long story: Someone told me that Non-Dairy creamer will burn if you sprinkle it on to a fire. So, i got on a platform 12 ft. in the air and a friend lit a newspaper on the ground and grabbed a camera in case it did something cool. I dumped the creamer on the fire to see what would happen. 30 min later I'm in the LSU burn center. The picture shows a 30 ft fireball with me in the middle. My hands might be scarred, my face is burned but should heal in time but the killer is the pain. After 2 shots of morphine at the hospital i was still writhing in pain. I still take 2800mg of perkaset a day.

HomeGuru

You have a cause of action so sue for $30 million pain and suffering. Sue the newspaper owners, the newsprint and ink manufacturers, the friend that held the newspaper, the someone that told you the food product burns, the maker of the platform, the owner of the property that the accident ocurred, the store that you bought the product from, the distributor and food broker, the trucking company etc. and all the insurance companies of the above defendants, the City, County, State and Federal Health and Fire Departments, your parents, your teachers, your family doctor.......
I am sure that the attorney that sued McDonalds over the hot coffee will take your case on contingency.

B

bigsexxxytom

I don't really need the sarcasm. I'm not trying to get rich. I'm trying to find a way to pay the insurance deductable. I don't know who yall are nor what you do for a living but around here money is always tight but a $300 deductable and $50 more every time a doctor decides he needs to look at my hand sure doesnt help.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Courts and juries don't award judgments to idiots - - especially idiots who only have a third grade education, and live in a trailer park.

IAAL

HomeGuru

bigsexxxytom said:
I don't really need the sarcasm. I'm not trying to get rich. I'm trying to find a way to pay the insurance deductable. I don't know who yall are nor what you do for a living but around here money is always tight but a $300 deductable and $50 more every time a doctor decides he needs to look at my hand sure doesnt help.

HomeGuru response: Sorry, I meant to say that courts have ruled time and time again, that if one's injuries are due to one's own fault, one has no claim. This is commonly known as the legal doctrine of caveat idiot nolo contendere pro bono plaintiff.

By the way and by way of an introduction, I am an attorney. I post on legal forums for a living unlike you who thinks that the world owes you a living.

B

bigsexxxytom

You seem to have misjudged me. I'm a senior in highschool and was recently accepted into the Navy's nuclear engineering program. Both of my parents are teachers and I am a part-time mechanic at a local garage. I was apparently percived as a lethargic idiot. I just wanted to know what all my options before I take out a loan to pay the bills and take care of it when I return to work. I also misjudged this forum. I thought it was a place where some generous lawers were volunteering free advice to people who never went to law school. Now I get the feeling this forum is composed of arrogant attorneys hunting for clients and people looking to abuse the justice system for a quick buck.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bigsexxxytom said:
You seem to have misjudged me. I'm a senior in highschool and was recently accepted into the Navy's nuclear engineering program. Both of my parents are teachers and I am a part-time mechanic at a local garage. I was apparently percived as a lethargic idiot. I just wanted to know what all my options before I take out a loan to pay the bills and take care of it when I return to work. I also misjudged this forum. I thought it was a place where some generous lawers were volunteering free advice to people who never went to law school. Now I get the feeling this forum is composed of arrogant attorneys hunting for clients and people looking to abuse the justice system for a quick buck.
My response:

Option ? What options ? And, all because we know, and deep down in your heart you know, that you're an idiot, why all of a sudden are WE arrogant ? All because we call a spade a spade ?

However, you're right; we did misjudge you.

When you say that:

"Someone told me that Non-Dairy creamer will burn if you sprinkle it on to a fire."

and go on to say,

"I'm a senior in highschool and was recently accepted into the Navy's nuclear engineering program" . . .

then our opinion must change from "idiot" to "idiot savant".

IAAL

HomeGuru

Hahaha IAAL.

To Mr. Rocket Scientist,
IAAL and HomeGuru have posted collectively over 11,000 posts.
Not once have we ever used this website to search for clients nor do we ever plan to. We don't need new clients from this website and we are not asking for any. We have not on a single occasion, used this forum to prospect to make as you say, "quick bucks".

Congratulations on being accepted into the Navy nuclear engineering program.
I am sure they would like to know about your very first experiment testing the laws of flammable physics. Just don't take that same attitude you have on one of our nuclear submarines.

"Oh, shipmate Buddy said that if he turns the key and I press this red button, that battleship out there will get fried and sink like the Titanic. Hmmmmm, I wonder if that is true. After all, I've never seen a nuclear warhead up close and personal."

PS: if you hold a flame to a guitar pick, the guitar pick flashes because it's flammable.
Note: Do not try this at home or at school or at a classmates' house.

[Edited by HomeGuru on 01-09-2001 at 12:58 AM]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My further response:

We, the Contributors, have been asked on numerous occassions by writers to represent them. Each and every time we decline.

At one point, I was actually tempted to ask if you had ever held a match to your ass during a fart, but I thought it would be tacky considering your current state. So I won't.

IAAL

C

cpdwife

Why don't you try reading other posts by HomeGuru and I Am Always Liable before you accuse them? You chose to do something you already knew was dangerous, and because you didn't get a "Sue them for all they have" response, you get upset. You did a very stupid thing, and now it's up to YOU to pay. IAAL helped me and asked for nothing in return. This site is not for idiots trying to get money. You stated that the creamer didn't have flammable written on it, well, most people know it goes in coffee, not on fire!!!

W

what the hell do i know?

Im not surprised by the original posters unhappiness with the replies he received; not because he deserved a multi-million dollar settlement but because the US system seems in most other instances to advocate suits such as these.
In the past half hour I have read about a child superficially injured in a motor accident whose parents were advised to claim the world (plus taxes), some poor fool who made one innapropriate (but purely in context when judged against the environment) comment who lost his livelihood told he deserved it and more, and finally a parent advised to declare bankruptcy because her son ran into a drunk. In a system as fundamentally flawed as this, why *shouldnt* Mr Creamer get his just desserts? Every man woman and childs insurance premiums in the land of the free go skyrocketing to pay monstrous and ill deserved payouts to half a dozen people who are in turn sued for their awards for telling a neighbour what they received and thereby inflicting severe emotional distress for their own *non* awarded situation. Oh, and to pay for a small army of lawyers of course... Just out of interest, what ratio of lawyers do you have per capita over there?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

LegalBeagle said:
I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Courts and juries don't award judgments to idiots - -
IAAL
You forgotten about the old dear with the hot coffee between her legs ?
My response:

Yes, sometimes there are aberrations. However, the case was overturned on appeal, and she got nothing.

IAAL

NOTE: See correction to this post, below. She got "virtually" nothing - - when you compare her jury award to what she may have finally settled with McDonalds.

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 01-10-2001 at 01:43 AM]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

LegalBeagle said:
It was ? Wow, I must of missed that.. you have the link to the appeals case decision ?
My response:

Whoops. A slight mistake. The $2.9 million New Mexico case of Stella Liebeck vs. McDonalds, Inc. was not appealed; rather, the trial court judge, subsequent to the jury award, reduced the punitive award to down to $480,000 -- or three times compensatory damages -- even though the judge called McDonalds' conduct reckless, callous and willful.

No one will ever know the final ending to this case because despite the judge's reduction, as stated above, McDonald's entered into a "secret" settlement with Liebeck, in order to forestall an appeal of the trial court reduced award,
which has never been revealed to the public.

Hey, it happened in 1994, and with old age, my memory got a little fuzzy. So, shoot me.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">