• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business Destroyed by Truck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My husband and I own a barber shop. Last October, a pick-up truck ran a red light (and was speeding), and ran right through the shop, destroying everything. Fortunately, no one was seriously injured. However, it took 2 months to renovate and re-open. Our insurance company paid for replacement of inventory, and lost wages for the time it was closed. Since we have re-opened, the business has been off (averaging 30% less), many customers did not come back (the shop was boarded up, and although we put up signs and advertised locally, we still lost a lot of business). This business is in an "Old Towne" section and has been in same location for almost 50 years. My husband works as a barber at the shop, and bought the business from the previous (and only other) owner, after working for him for 10 years. My question is, can we sue the driver (his insurance?) for the lost business? This has been a real financial setback for us, and we feel as if we're paying for something that was not our fault. We talked to our insurance agent about this, he said he could not help us any further in the matter. Can (or should) we sue our insurance?
Thanks,
VickieG

L

lars coltrane

Why don't you file an action against the driver of the truck that ran into your shop for your damages, including lost profits.

Your own carrier only pays to the extent of your coverage you purchased. Ask your agent if you purchased coverage that includes loss of profits and if so are there in the language of the policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">