• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buyer did not register car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kt4vq

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I sold a car on 11-24-02. I left all of the paper work, title, bill-of-sale, everything laying on the front seat. The buyer drove away before I could remove tag.

I have reported the tag lost or stolen.

Have verified that the VIN is still showing registered to me.

How do I get this car removed from me legally?

Thanks!

I could not find a better forum title to post this question. I hope this works.

racer72

Have you contact your state DMV for information on how to report a vehicle sale? In my state it is part of the title, the buyer gets the upper half and the seller takes the lower half and sends it to the state. Liability for the vehicle is then removed from the seller.

K

kt4vq

As far as I know the bill of sale and tilte are required to complete the sale. The buyer and seller both have a copy of the bill of sale and both copies are signed by the buyer and seller.

All of those documents where in the car when the buyer drove off.

I need to understand what to do to prove to the DMV I sold the car. I filed the lost or stolen tag and the only thing the county police could suggest was to either report the car as stolen (which it is not) or get a lawyer.

M

maxim2

I guess next time you will do what everyone else i know does,

YOU and the Seller drive to the DMV and transfer the title and get new plates and do it in person, and then YOU drive back home.

why is this a problem?.....oops the seller/buyer must show proof of insurance

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">