• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buying a car with expired tags

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

baker4

What is the name of your state? Texas If I buy a car out of town can I drive home and renew the tags then or What?

Last edited:

miresi

If it is too far away to make several trips then contact your DMV and ask them. I had a friend that bought another car in another state and they got temporary plates before flying down. The seller would be foolish to allow you to take his tags. The seller might be ble to drive it to your home and remove the tags then. You could also have it towed but there are laws in some states that require vehicles to be register to tow. My brother had his car towed across country and had to pick up the car in Mass. Because they could not enter NH with the car unregistered.

BelizeBreeze

baker4 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas If I buy a car out of town can I drive home and renew the tags then or What?
Before you leave purchase a 'drive out' or temporary tag. Problem solved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">