• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California Auto Insurance Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mmillings

What is the name of your state? California

A friend of mine was recently involved in an auto accident in my car. She did not have any auto insurance and neither do I. Luckily it was not her fault. The police report states that it was totally the other persons fault. Does the other person's insurance cover the damage on my vehicle and any sort of medical expenses even though I do not have auto insurance? Secondly, do I need to tell the claims adjuster of the other person's insurance company that I do not have any auto insurance?

stephenk

the other carrier will require you to show proof of insurance if you are making any claim for general damages (pain and suffering).

Without insurance you are only entitled to recover economic damages (property damage, loss of earnings, and medical bills).

You will not be entitled to general damages.

stephenk

Since you were not insured, I am sure the other carrier will notify the DMV of you and your friend driving without insurance. Dont be suprised if your license is suspended for 6 months and you will need to show proof of insurance to get it reinstated.

G

gooberitiz

So MAYBE you will GET LUCKY and DMV will never know about this,and your license wont be suspeneded, if you just SHUT UP and pay the damages yourself and NEVER contact their insurance company,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">