• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California driver's license restricted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Colin Young

What is the name of your state? California

Last April I was at fault in an accident in California with my company’s vehicle that the insurance had lapsed. At the time I was fully insured on my other personal vehicles and had thought my insurance would cover an uninsured vehicle. Apparently not and paid the damage myself. The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) notified me that my driver’s license could be suspended or restricted for having no insurance. After completing all documents requested of me including form SR22 and providing insurance documents in person to the DMV I was assured that my driver’s license would remain in good standing. Since that day in July I have rented cars, bought insurance on an additional car and have had no cause of concern until yesterday. Two days ago I went on a bike ride leaving my wallet in my car which was broken into and my wallet stolen. Yesterday I went into the DMV to replace my license and to my dismay was informed that my license had been suspended since July. Two questions come to mind. Does the receipt from the DMV back in July indicating the issue was resolved have any bearing and my being solvent well in excess of California’s financially responsibly requirements help for lack of insurance when the accident occurred. At this point what do I do to reinstate my license in good standing? Also what are my risks driving with a suspended license given my driving requirements including taking my kids to school.

racer72

At this point what do I do to reinstate my license in good standing?
Ask someone at a DMV office.

Also what are my risks driving with a suspended license given my driving requirements including taking my kids to school.
A ticket with a large fine, having your suspension extended, having you vehicle towed and held for 30 days and you will be liable for the towing and storage costs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">