• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can He sell it or let em' tow it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dstreet52

What is the name of your state? PA
I was in an accident 3 months ago & my car has been deemed totaled by the insurance company but I have not received that in writing from them. I could not keep up with payments after losing my job so I filed chapter 13 & I had basic basic liability insurance.
I was hit by a guy who had the same type of policy & the same company.
the police report did not say who was at fault but it did state that he hit me & the damage that was done to my car .
After 3months they said that they have to split it up 50-50 since we are both their insureds. They only gave me 3,400 dollars saying that it was half of what the value was.
As far as the lean holder goes they chose to issue the check to me instead of them, also I had my Chp.13 converted to Chp.7
around the time of the accident because I didn't have full coverage & I owed about 8,500 dollars.

Now the city put an orange sticker on my car stating that it will be towed because they consider it an abandoned vehichle & the tags expired in July. My Bankrupcy Attorney said just let the city tow it because he let the leinholders lawyers know that it's been in an accident & is totaled & they are well aware of the cars where abouts & it's up to them to decide if they choose to pick it up or not and that since this case is still pending (Chp.7) that I need not correspond with them.
I am returning to CA next week & will still receive a $300 ticket & they will still tow it away & with out insurance & a registration I would not get it back without legal assistance & the paying of a fine & storage fees.
I don't want it back, but a neighbor wants to buy it and use the engine & wheels. I don't have the title (the leinholder still does)
& I'm not sure if I should sell it for parts. I still don't want the ticket though , but will it be illegal for me to sell it or just let the city tow it & just pay the ticket? The insurance company does not want it.
I know that was long but I had to explain the full situation.

Thanks,

DS52

JETX

Somehow someone has gotten confused in this..... the car is NOT the lienholders any longer.
The car was purchased from you by the insurance company in their settlement payment to you.

Contact the insurance company and let them know about THEIR vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">