• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I attain defendant's auto-insurance policy limits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jayman369

Can I obtain defendant's auto-insurance policy limits?

Hi guys, I was recently involved in a car accident and am doing the claim myself.

I would like to know how the other party is covered. Is there a way (government agency maybe?) for me to obtain the other party's insurance information?

I have his name, address, insurance carrier name, and policy #. The insurace he's with is refusing to disclose his insurance policy limits. I'm trying to find out how much his car is covered for, let it be 15/30 or 25/50, etc.

I know there are services out there that charges you a couple hundred dollars to obtain these information for you, but I would like to be able to obtain them myself if possible. I figured if there's this type of service available, there must be a way where I can do the same thing.

Thank you for any information.

-Jay

Last edited:

J

jayman369

By the way, I live in Los Angeles, California. Sorry for leaving out that information on the first post.

-Jay

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jayman369 said:
Hi guys, I was recently involved in a car accident and am doing the claim myself.

I would like to know how the other party is covered. Is there a way (government agency maybe?) for me to obtain the other party's insurance information?

I have his name, address, insurance carrier name, and policy #. The insurace he's with is refusing to disclose his insurance policy limits. I'm trying to find out how much his car is covered for, let it be 15/30 or 25/50, etc.

I know there are services there there that charges you a couple hundred dollars to find these information for you, but I would like to be able to obtain them myself if possible. I figured if there's this type of service available, there must be a way where I can do the same thing.

Thank you for any information.

-Jay

My response:

Yes, you can get this information for a fee by calling the Department of Motor Vehicles in Sacramento, and filling out an SR-19 form, and paying the required fee. In turn, the DMV will send you all insurance, and other license information, concerning the other party.

IAAL

J

jayman369

IAAL,

Thanks for the response. Would this be the ONLY way to obtain the information? Any idea how much the fee is?

Thank you again.

-Jay

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jayman369 said:
IAAL,

Thanks for the response. Would this be the ONLY way to obtain the information?

MY RESPONSE:

1. You could obtain it illegally;

2. You could call each and every insurance company in California.

3. You could get it from the other driver, if he's willing to give it to you.

Any idea how much the fee is?

MY RESPONSE: It's about $25.00, give or take. Call the DMV.

Thank you again.

MY RESPONSE: You're welcome.

IAAL

J

jayman369

Well, again, thank you.

My firm can get this information from a private company (don't want to mention name) for $145.

I asked the question partially because I'm cheap, and partially because I'm curious how the company is able to obtain all these information. (they only take, 1-2 days)

-Jay

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">