• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I cancel claim I filed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbs2516

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Missouri

I backed my car into another car (no one injured). I and the other car waited for the police without exchanging insurance info. When the police arrived, he said I was at fault and had to appear in court for Improper Backing. I filed a claim with the insurance company(Liability). When I went to court, the judge dismissed my case, I gave the court the claim number and pay for the court fee.

Now the insurance tried to contact me to get the police report which I don't have. I told the insurance agent that I don't have the police report and the court dismissed my case. the next day they called again and ask for police report.

As far as I'm concerned the other car never filed a claim. I'm afraid they are trying to increase my rate. Is this the case? What should I do in this situation? Can I cancel the claim I filed?

Anybody help me please.

Jen

tammy8

Whether or not you had a police report and whether or not your ticket got dismissed you are still liable. Your rates still stand a chance of being raised whether or not there is a police report. You are responsible for the damage to the other car.

Lynx 36

Insurance companies send f/ PR's by mail or fax. If your company wants it they know how to get it. If you don't have it you don't have it.

Quote: "As far as I'm concerned the other car never filed a claim. I'm afraid they are trying to increase my rate. Is this the case? What should I do in this situation? Can I cancel the claim I filed?"

Anytime you call in a claim your rates could go up. It depends on current driving recored, amount of claims called in, your credit rating, natural disasters, etc., etc. And no you cannot cancel the claim once it is filed. If your insurance doesn't pay f/ the other person's car that may be a bonus in your favor. It will be closed w/out pay.

jbs2516

Thank you very much for your reply. It was a very minor accident. I just hope my rate won't increase.

Jen

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">