• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I change auto insurance company in this special case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aamixy

California

My current auto insurance carrier is Geico in California. I had an at-
fault accident in last Nov and the claim that I filed to Geico is
still open because in the accident there were totally three cars
involved and one of the other two persons never spoke to my insurance
company and claimed anything. My coverage is enough in case that
person comes back.

Due to this accident, my premium is dramatically increased. I got
several much lower quotes from other auto insurance companies for my
next renewal in mid Feb.

My question is: if I change to another auto insurance company while
the claim is still open, will Geico still take care of the claim,
i.e., pay the person if he comes back?
Thanks very much for any information.

ecmst12

Yes, you had coverage with Geico on the date of the accident so that claim is theirs forever.

However make sure the quotes you got are taking your at-fault accident into account. Sometimes they will give you just a quote based on your age, car, and location without actually looking at your driving record, then when you go to actually sign up for the policy, it turns out to be more.

aamixy

Hi, thanks for the information. The quotes I got include the information that I had the accident.

I have two more questions:

1. If after I switch to another insurance company, another party involved in the accident files a lawsuit against me, will Geico still defend me?

2. Can I just go ahead switching to another company, or I need to let Geico know about it?

Thanks again.

randomguy

1)Anything that is related to the accident in question will be handled by Geico

2)No you do not need to let them know. Just let the policy expire once you get the new one and that is it.

ecmst12

If you're not going to start the new policy on your exact renewal date, you will need to tell Geico that you are cancelling your policy. It won't affect your coverage for the accident though.

tammy8

And again, make sure they charge you the insurance surcharge for your accident. They will find the accident and have to charge you at some point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">