• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I charge a late fee?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rolejnik

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hello,

A year ago I was awarded a judgement as a result to a car accident that I was involved in where the other driver did not have insurance. Surprisingly, she did not pay (why would she pay me if she doesn't pay her car insurance) :mad: Now, she has filed for bankrupcy and I recieved a letter asking for the amount she owes, what the old payment agrangments where, old interst rate, and what I am willing to have her pay now, new interest rate, and late fee. Can I charge her a late fee?

J

joscadrey

yeah, sure. you should go for it. the fact that she's now asking you means she's willing to settle. but caution, she might bargain for less the amount you would ask. so you better add some plus, plus. good luck.

Unless the late fee is part of the judgment the only amounts you can request is what you were awarded.

In Florida interest on insurance settlements are always calculated as simple interest and are never more than 10%.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">