• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I be found at fault?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

troutbum

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

Approximately a week ago, my car had rolled a short distance out of its parking spot in a quite level parking lot. I was notified that my car was in the middle of the parking lot, a safe distance from any cars, and moved it back into its spot - there was nothing more said of the situation.

Today, however, an individual came to my office and told me that my car had rolled into his that day, and that it had dented his passenger side door. I claimed that this was impossible, as it was in the middle of the parking lot. He alleges that my car must have rolled into his and then bounced back into the middle of this level lot.

My questions are: Can he still pursue damages from me without having filed a police report at the scene? Can I be found at fault, even if no one saw my car allegedly roll into his?

Thanks for any insight that you are able to provide.

stephenk

the other guy is bull****ting you. did he say how he found out your car hit his and why he waited a week to come forward?

Check your car for any paint transfers or dents that are at bumper level. If none, I wouldnt sweat it. Let the other guy try and prove his case.

T

troutbum

that's what I'm thinking...

Thanks for the reply - I think that he's trying to hose me as well. There isn't even so much as a smudge on my bumper, and the chrome would show the slightest.

I'm going to let him try and make a case - he can work it out with his insurance company, and should be covered without any trouble.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this? Is there anything that I am overlooking here?

(by the way - this guy is absolutely ANAL about his Cadillac. I can't imagine if he suspected that my car might have even come close to his that he wouldn't have checked for damage at the time and place.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">