• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i haggle with the insurance company for more money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smoove7

my car is going to be totalled out, i found out the worth of my car at auction is 660 dollars, now the insurance is supposed to find out how much the car is worth for example lets say it is worth 2000 dollars minus 660, so i will get my car back and a check for about 1300 dollars, how do i know if they are lowballing me on the worth of the car, if i haggle with them can i get more back than their initial offer?

lwpat

There are numerous sites on the internet that will give you the value of a used car. You can also check your local newspapers and car magazines. If they are offering you lower than than what the same car in the same condition sells for in your area then you can show them your evidence and request fair value.

JETX

"if i haggle with them can i get more back than their initial offer?"
*** I don't know if you CAN get them to change but you can certainly try. You need to get some 'comparable' prices for equal condition vehicles. The problem you will have is (based on your other post), your car was 10 years old with 187k miles. It might be hard to find the equal. Try som on line sources like NADA, Kelly Blue book or Edmunds. Print out each value. Then start with local classifieds. Once you get your data together, contact the adjuster and see if they will modify their offer...

S

smoove7

i looked it up on kelly blue book, it says the car is worth 1500-2200 dollars, so i was shocked when the adjuster told me i took such great care of the car it is still worth 3000 dollars so i got the car back and a check for about 2400 dollars and my friend is gonna fix it for about 1000 dollars, but if i didnt know him i would have to still come up with about 600 dollars to get it fixed. i got very lucky, my lesson learned is no matter how long you have had your car and think nothing can happen to you in it, it can be taken away from you in seconds.

H

huhwhatWHO

WOW.....SOME DEEP, PHILOSOPHICAL THOUGHT ABOUT A ROLLING TOTAL...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">