• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I recover cost of repair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MMMeerz

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

My daughter's friend (a minor) was driving our car (all parents were aware). Due to the car's value ($950), we chose not to have collision included in our policy for this vehicle. My daughter's friend ran our car into another car, causing about $1200 damage to the car. There were no tickets issued, the accident happened on private property (in a parking lot). The friend immediately admitted responsibility (hit the gas pedal instead of the break) and stated this to everyone present at the time. The parents also said they would reimburse us for the damages (when we all arrived at the accident scene). Since the bumper is so expensive (at least $1000) we told them we would not pursue this cost. We were mainly interested in the wheel, tire, and signal light cover, which were damaged in the accident. These costs came to $186 (for wheel, tire, alignment, and lens cover). Now that it is time to pay, they don't feel that they should. Can we recover the repair costs through small claims court, and do we have a case?

LK.

Go through the friend's insurance company instead of court. It will be faster, easier, none of the parties involved will have their name in public record as being party to civil litigation.

BelizeBreeze

Go through YOUR insurance. It was your car.

Also, since you didn't mention the other car, what is occurring with the car she hit?

And you had better have uninsured coverage. Otherwise, it's court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">