+ Reply to Thread
    Prblmsnparadise is offline Junior Member

Can I refuse to let my car be totaled?

I just have a general question. I haven't heard my car is totaled yet, but if the insurance company tells me it is, can I refuse to let them do this. I can probably fix this car for less than $500 if I order after market parts and fix it myself. This would probably take less time and money than it would cost me to apply for a salvage title and then deal with finding an insurance company that would cover my car after this designation.
    EvilWizard is offline Member
    Let them total it and then buy the total'd car back for a hundred bucks. A good friend of mine wrecked a sports car he had really built up and insurance claimed it was totaled and paided him out what was a fair value for the car. He then bought the wrecked vehicle back for like a hundred dollars and sold the parts for another 5K.

Ask your insurer what they do with vehicles declared totaled and if they allow buyback. You might actually be able to make out well.
    racer72 is offline Senior Member
    The OP does not want a salvage or rebuilt title, that is why he does not want his car totalled. The only option is the withdraw your claim with the insurance company and fix the car on your own. At this point it may be too late.
    If you feel my answer is rude, mean, snarky or in anyway not to your liking, I did my job. You don't need to tell me.

No private messages, I do not reply to them.