+ Reply to Thread
    link97381 is offline Junior Member

Can I retract signing a document

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I recently got in a not at fault accident and my insurance company has been doing a horrible job on communicating with me. I have been left stranded at home having to walk to work in the rain every day and haven't been able to go to school or my chiropractor appointments due to the fact that the other guy involved in the accidents insurance company has still to get me a car. On Friday(yesterday) having been 8 days since the accident his agent called and said that they wanted to come over and discuss the claim, I having no idea really what to do said "sure, but what about my rental car?" and she said "we'll talk about that when I get there" So she comes over and get's me to sign a medical release form and a form stating that I would not sue and would settle for a low amount. So I sign these forms for no other reason but that I am in such a desperate need to get this done and over with so I can get a car and get back to school. I then brought up the rental car again and she said that she knew nothing about that aspect and to call another number. After calling the other lady at least a dozen times I finally get ahold of her and she says that the rental car company would contact me but they never had. And then today I managed to find someone to take me to my chiropractor appointment and he suggested that I retract the medical waiver but didn't know if I could retract the other documents. I was just curious if I could also retract them? I'm planning on talking to an antorney but none are open until monday. Does anyone have any advice or info for me?
    stephenk is offline Senior Member
    "a form stating that I would not sue and would settle for a low amount."

That is what the form stated? Unless you can show you were coerced or fraudently induced into the signing the form, you are stuck with it.

Why couldn't you just rent a car on your own? You have to mitigate your damages. That means you can't sit back and hope the other party will take care of you. If you are hurt you need to make arrangements to go to the doctor. If you don't want to walk in the rain, rent a car. the money you spend on the rental will be part of what you demand to settle your case.
    Cal Naughton, Jr.: I like to think of Jesus as a mischievous badger.
    link97381 is offline Junior Member
    Well I just can't rent a car because I had just bought my car 3 weeks ago and so I have no money. And she did say something about me needing to sign the documents in order to go on with my claim. She made it sound like I had to sign them. One of the forms stated that I would settle my pain and suffering for only $500 and would not be able to seek any further damages. And one was saying that they were only going to pay my medical bills for 30 days. Me having not been able to see my chiropractor yet didn't think I would need any more then that.
    Who's Liable? is offline Senior Member
    Congrats!

You just signed away ALL your rights... By signing the papers, you waived your right to sue for any future medical costs that might arise from that accident as well as signed away ALL payments for medical reasons PAST 30 days...

You played EXACTLY into their hands by signing... You should've consulted a personal injury lawyer, or got on your insruance carrier to go after the other...
    stephenk is offline Senior Member
    you just settled your case for $500. How old are you?
    Cal Naughton, Jr.: I like to think of Jesus as a mischievous badger.
    teflon_jones is offline Senior Member
    You signed it, now you have to live with that.

8 days is not very long for your insurance company to settle the claim. You need to have emergency funds to deal with things like this. Do you have a credit card?