• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue in small claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unluckydriver

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was driving my girlfriends 3 weeks old vehicle and we were coming out of a grocery store. I backed out of my parking spot and was waiting for pedestrians to move out of my way to go forward. This 19 years old girl, parked on the other side of the same row of parked cars, backed out without looking and hit the rear bumper of our vehicle. It turns out she was driving her older brother's care and the car was uninsured. I called the police. They came and he took statement from both sides. He said I can file a report and she has to go to court and pay almost 1600 dollars of fine and then the damage and with a minimum wage McDonalds burger flipper job, it is very likely not to happen. So, the office informally told us if we she is willing to pay the ~$700-800 bill for the paint job, we should be all good to go. Or we could go with our insurance (she had uninsured motorist coverage) to get the paint damage fixed, but it required filing a report.

3 weeks forward, after few unsuccessful attempts to have her pay the $775 (multiple body shop estimates, plus car rental quotes for 4 days), we got nowhere. We went ahead and filed the report at the local police station. She sent it to the insurance company and got the car fixed. But during this ordeal, we have incurred ~$350 expense, for deductible and uncovered expenses.

Can I or my girlfriend sue this little twit to get her pay the money out of our pockets, via small claims court ? if yes, what is the proper procedure for this ? If no, what do you suggest ?
Thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, your girlfriend can go to small claims court to seek recovery, up to the FULL amount of the damages. She'd have to reimburse her insurance company for anything beyond her deductible if she collects it.

Keep in mind that small claims court won't collect for your girlfriend. Even if she wins, it's your girlfriend's job to collect.

unluckydriver

Yes, your girlfriend can go to small claims court to seek recovery, up to the FULL amount of the damages. She'd have to reimburse her insurance company for anything beyond her deductible if she collects it.

Keep in mind that small claims court won't collect for your girlfriend. Even if she wins, it's your girlfriend's job to collect.
The car who hit us (which was uninsured) belonged to this girl's brother. If we can not collect from her, can we go after the brother ? Or should we (or can we) sue him for letting his sister drive an uninsured vehicle, to loop him as a potential payor of this ordeal ?

Zigner

The car who hit us (which was uninsured) belonged to this girl's brother. If we can not collect from her, can we go after the brother ? Or should we (or can we) sue him for letting his sister drive an uninsured vehicle, to loop him as a potential payor of this ordeal ?
Sue them both...but what makes you think it'll be any easier to collect from the owner?

ecmst12

She should check with her insurance - they are most likely ALREADY in the process of pursuing the other parties.

unluckydriver

She should check with her insurance - they are most likely ALREADY in the process of pursuing the other parties.
Yes the insurance company is going to go after her. Myself, the driver at the accident time and the claims rep are playing phone tag for me to provide them and oral report of how the accident happened. But what the insurance company didn't cover was about $350, which came out of our pockets, for no fault of ours at all.

I am sure with her burger flipping job, she is not gonna be good for any payment, unless I go after her salary from McDonalds and try to put a lien on it but she can quit and go work for some other dead end job and it will be very hard to get hold of her, as well as very costly. But her car, putting it more correctly, her brother's car has at least a couple of grands in its value. If we win the case, what do I need to do to put a lien on this car for the amount owed to us ?

Zigner

Yes the insurance company is going to go after her. Myself, the driver at the accident time and the claims rep are playing phone tag for me to provide them and oral report of how the accident happened. But what the insurance company didn't cover was about $350, which came out of our pockets, for no fault of ours at all.

I am sure with her burger flipping job, she is not gonna be good for any payment, unless I go after her salary from McDonalds and try to put a lien on it but she can quit and go work for some other dead end job and it will be very hard to get hold of her, as well as very costly. But her car, putting it more correctly, her brother's car has at least a couple of grands in its value. If we win the case, what do I need to do to put a lien on this car for the amount owed to us ?
Your girlfriend would need to be the one to sue.

ecmst12

Her insurance will be pursuing the other parties for the full amount of the damage including her deductible. She does not have to do anything on her own. If her insurance company recovers, they will return her deductible to her. YOU have no standing here at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">