• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I be sued?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chugga2

I was divorced from my ex in December 99. I went overseas and remarried. The day before I left I was still married to my ex and he was in an automobile accident. In the divorce I gave him everything as I was overseas. He sued an insurance company and has won $100,000. I made no claim to his settlement nor do I want to. His attorney has been harrasing myself and my answering machine threatening to sue as my old name is on this settlement check and he wants me to sign it. For tax purposes I declined and my divorce attorney says I don't have to sign anything. The attorney is still pursuing me and threatening that he will take me to court 2 hours away and I have to pay all the court costs? Can he do this? Do I have to sign this check? Can't the insurance company just reissue him a new check without my name?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

chugga2 said:
I was divorced from my ex in December 99. I went overseas and remarried. The day before I left I was still married to my ex and he was in an automobile accident. In the divorce I gave him everything as I was overseas. He sued an insurance company and has won $100,000. I made no claim to his settlement nor do I want to. His attorney has been harrasing myself and my answering machine threatening to sue as my old name is on this settlement check and he wants me to sign it. For tax purposes I declined and my divorce attorney says I don't have to sign anything. The attorney is still pursuing me and threatening that he will take me to court 2 hours away and I have to pay all the court costs? Can he do this? Do I have to sign this check? Can't the insurance company just reissue him a new check without my name?
My response:

Let's look at this whole matter in a positive manner, and make you a happy camper in the process.

First, a little explanation. Hubby doesn't get the whole $100,000.00. After the attorney's fees and costs, there may be $60,000.00 left over. Then, hubby has to pay off his doctors; and I'll assume he's got about $25,000.00 in that area to pay, leaving him about $35,000.00 "Net" for his pocket.

Now, here's the good part.

You call the attorney and tell him, "I'll be very happy to sign. Please send the settlement check to me for signature, along with your Attorney/Client Trust Fund check in the sum of $5,000.00, made payable to me, for my damages for Loss of Consortium. Then, I'll mail the settlement draft back to you."

Watch how fast that check gets to you!

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">