• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an insurance company really do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hans2234

What is the name of your state? UT
My son totalled another person's car. The car he totalled was a brand new Ford F250. My son had just bought his own car and hadn't gotten insurance for it yet. He had his permit but didn't have his driver's license (He's 16 years old and was with a licensed driver at time of accident). The parties' insurance company is threatening to sue for $100,000. Can they really do this? What are the odds that they actually will? And finally, what should I do? Could I lose my house? Thanks a lot for any replies.

-Mary

Happy Trails

hans2234 said:
What is the name of your state? UT
My son totalled another person's car. The car he totalled was a brand new Ford F250. My son had just bought his own car and hadn't gotten insurance for it yet. He had his permit but didn't have his driver's license (He's 16 years old and was with a licensed driver at time of accident). ***Not relevent he should have had insurance before you allowed him to drive. The parties' insurance company is threatening to sue for $100,000. Can they really do this? What are the odds that they actually will? And finally, what should I do? Could I lose my house? Thanks a lot for any replies.

-Mary
He isn't starting out being a responsible driver.

Yes, the insurance company can sue.

Pretty good odds they can win, if your son is found to blame and they can prove damages in that amount.

Get an attorney.

Lynx 36

Yep, you'll get sued and you deserve to. Now be a responsible parent and take the car away from your son until he gets insurance.

Happy Trails

Lynx 36 said:
Yep, you'll get sued and you deserve to. Now be a responsible parent and take the car away from your son until he gets insurance.
Since he totalled a brand new Ford, he probably only has pieces left of his car. :eek:

Very expensive lesson.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">