• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can my company force me to use their health insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The company I work for is telling me that by law I have to use the health insurance they provide as my primary insurance. I have health insurance through my husbands company and want to stay with that. They are telling me because the pay for my insurance that I must use it as my primary and cannot waive it. The insurance company told me that it is federal law. Please help me if you can... Thanks

L

LadyFable

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:
The company I work for is telling me that by law I have to use the health insurance they provide as my primary insurance. I have health insurance through my husbands company and want to stay with that. They are telling me because the pay for my insurance that I must use it as my primary and cannot waive it. The insurance company told me that it is federal law. Please help me if you can... Thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont know if it is a law that you cannot decline your coverage thru your employer. However, if you do have insurance thru your employer, yes it is your primary and the coverage thru your husbands insurance would be considered secondary. You didnt indicate the state in which you reside, however, I would suggest contacting the State Insurance Commissioner for clarification. I can't imagine your employer not jumping at the chance to have you decline your coverage. It would be less liability for them.

Thanks you so much for your reply. My company is stating that i cannot decline the coverage that they are paying for. (It is a 'benefit' that the company will cover my insurance at no charge. They are telling me because they pay for it that I have to use it. And they are telling me it is by law that I cannot decline it. I live in Colorado. I can't imagine there is a federal law stating this is so.

L

LadyFable

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:
Thanks you so much for your reply. My company is stating that i cannot decline the coverage that they are paying for. (It is a 'benefit' that the company will cover my insurance at no charge. They are telling me because they pay for it that I have to use it. And they are telling me it is by law that I cannot decline it. I live in Colorado. I can't imagine there is a federal law stating this is so. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to hear about your problems.I am not familar with the laws in your state. I can only go by the limited information I have about medical benefits in my own state. I would still suggest contacting the state INsurance commissioner in your state for more information. Good Luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">