• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the other party sue me if the police report did not indicate who is at fault?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaxin189

I involved in a car accident and the other driver was killed. I received the police report but it did not indicate who is at fault since there was not enough witness. Can the family of the killed driver sue me for this? Can they file a lawsuit against my family member(s) (who did not involve in the accident at all) for their personal properties if the other party found out that I did not own anything?:confused:What is the name of your state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I involved in a car accident and the other driver was killed. I received the police report but it did not indicate who is at fault since there was not enough witness. Can the family of the killed driver sue me for this? Can they file a lawsuit against my family member(s) (who did not involve in the accident at all) for their personal properties if the other party found out that I did not own anything?:confused:What is the name of your state?

US Law Only - WHEN POSTING A QUESTION, YOU MUST INCLUDE THE NAME OF YOUR STATE

FlyingRon

Any body can sue anybody (with small exception). The police report is immaterial. They can sue you and attempt to prove in court you are responsible for the accident. They can sue others, but unless they were somehow responsible for the accident they will not prevail. Just being related to someone is not actionable.

ecmst12

They can file a lawsuit against you and the owner of the car. If you and the owner have insurance, they will defend up to the policy limits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">