• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can she sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

roxstarrgirl

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

Two weeks ago, my friend was in an accident wherein a woman turned left in front of her at an intersection (my friend had a green, other woman failed to yield) At the scene of the accident, the woman admitted fault. Police officer did not make report or ticket the woman. Damage to friend's car is $6500. My friend filed a claim w/her insurance, and the woman filed a claim w/her own agent. The woman told her adjuster she had a green arrow, and today is claiming my friend admitted fault at the scene. Meanwhile, my friend has been w/out her car for two weeks, and has no rental. Now, her car is ready and she has to go and pay her deductible. She's very angry, as it wasn't her fault-- she wants to sue the other woman for all the hassle, her transportation costs for these past two weeks, and for covering her deductible. As MN is a no-fault state, I am thinking she won't be able to sue...but I'm not positive. Should she contact a lawyer? (She was not injured in the accident, but has been EXTREMELY stressed out.)

seniorjudge

If you had just property damage, sue the woman in small claims court.

If you had personal injury (and you say you have not been), hire a personal injury lawyer.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=288092

She's very angry, as it wasn't her fault-- she wants to sue the other woman for all the hassle, her transportation costs for these past two weeks, and for covering her deductible.

If you win, all you'd get would be DIRECT damages, not consequential damages or pain and suffering, etc.

roxstarrgirl

Excellent-- her main concern is recovering the $500 she has to pay for her deductible. I was under the impression that in a no-fault state, you're out your deductible and you can't sue the other party for it. Someone else said that's not what no fault means (which is good, b/c how unfair, you're minding your business, on your way to work, and some jerk turns right in front of you. Why should you be out $500 when you did nothing wrong?) Thanks for the advice!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">