• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can someone be held responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

allure94

I was recently in a car fender-bender (the other party was at fault). Well, it came about that my license had been suspended for 5 years--not to my knowledge. They arrested me, my 6 year old daughter was also with me, and took me down to the station. I called someone to pick my daughter up and bail me out. They then took me to the city jail, booked me, everything that a "real" criminal would have to do. I waited in a jail cell for about 2 hours while the bonding was being taken care of. I was released and have to appear in court in a few days. I called the Ohio DMV the following day and the day in question was 9-1-00 when I received a speeding citation, they also stated I had no proof of insurace. I have ALWAYS been covered. I then called the insurance company and I was in fact covered on this day in question.
My question is do I have any grounds for a lawsuit and if so, who would be held responsible?
I have not been able to sleep, I have a tight knot in my chest from my nerves and stress, not to mention that my daughter had to see all this happen to her mother. Someone should have to be held responsible.
I live in Ohio

HomeGuru

Questions:

1) Did you have a valid drivers license at the time of the accident and did you have proof of insurance to show the arresting officer?

2) In Ohio, how many years is a drivers license good for before it must be renewed?

3) Did you ever go to Court over the speeding citation?
Do you think that your license was suspended for failure to appear and resolve the issue?

4) Do you know what a drivers license looks like?
Did you have something like it for the past 5 years in your wallet, purse, pants pocket etc.?

Yes, in answer to your topic question, someone can be held responsible.

[Edited by HomeGuru on 05-06-2001 at 01:08 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">