• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can someone help??!! Please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SADinNJ

Live in New Jersey. On 10/15 while pulling out of a parking lot (made it to the far, i.e, second lane) a 17 y/o slammed into my car (witnesses said she was "flying").

Less than 1 month prior, I cancelled the comp and collision portion of my auto policy (newly divorced and trying to save money). Her car was totalled... mine wasn't.

On 10/23 I took my car to a body shop to have it repaired. The cost: 2,750.00 (I was going to pay cash). Work was to begin the next day and it did. However, on 10/25, the girl's insurance called me, had opened a property damage claim and wanted to see my car. They called the body shop and had all work halted until an appraiser could see the car. He finally arrived on 10/30 and the appraisal was received on 11/1. It came in at almost 3 times the 2,750.00 quoted by the body shop. Now:

1. The body shop is seeing $ signs and will do nothing until they hear from the girl's auto insurance as they want to repair at the much higher cost/appraisal.
2. The auto insurance promised me a decision on 11/1 (to-date, my attorney still has not heard from them).

I have absolutely no transportation and am being "held hostage" by auto body and insurance company. WHAT CAN I DO???

B

ben

Make sure nobody is charging you storage while they hold you hostage! Getit in writing.
Did you get a written estimate from them?
I'm not a lawyer Ben

A

Allyas77

SadinNJ,
How did you make out. Did they recite to you the 1998 Amendment to NJ INsurance code and tell you that regardless to who is at fault you cannot collect on your policy if your automobile was not insured?

Know that you were going at them because they were at fault but did you have this problem?

[email protected] am in NJ

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">