• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they do this?????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

larry01

What is the name of your state? il So my car is on the repo list because i fell behind on a few payments so they send a tow truck out to my home to pick up the car. Now here's were it gets fishey, im not home at the time and they can't find the car of course, so get a call out of no where from the tow company saying that i was involved in a hit and run with the tow truck and that that i tried to flee from by running over my apt lawn then driving into the street to flee. Now this is untrue so i first get a missed call from the guy that was driving the tow truck (the person that is saying all of this) and he tells me some b.s about how he called the cops and he that he's filling out a hit and run report with them and that i have two choices, 1 i can come down to police station and fill out a exit report and give him the car or 2 the cops will come looking for me and when they find me i will be arresited and then he will pick up the car:rolleyes: So thats the first missed call now a few hours later i get another missed call but this time it from the manager of the tow company with more of the same b.s but this time he says that i needed to give them the car at once (i guess no exit report this time) or they fill out the hit and run and i will get charged. So i called him back once i woke up and heard the two missed masseges from them and he starts telling me that i hit is truck and i told him that he lying and there was no hit and run. So then i tell ask him about the damage to the back of his truck (now keep this in mind that there is no damage what so ever to my car at all front or back side to side) but he wont tell me he says that it is all in the police report. I then ask to speak to the person who drove the truck trying to find out what is really going on here and tells me that i cant and the samething that everything is in the police report. I begin to tell him that they are lying and that there was now no hit and run and that i am not giving up the car because i am in the middle of tying to pay my late payments with the lender. So now he tells me that if i give him the car he will drop the hit and run but if i dont he will not. So i let him know now that i am going down to the police and letting them know that it was a false hit and run. He says fine and to call him back with my car insurce info and ends the car. So now i have no idea what to do but the facts are this,1st there were no witness to there at all,2nd there is car tracks next to my apt that i guess that thats were he getting his my so called flee exit from and no body knows where the tracks came from,some teens might have done it late one night no one is sure.3rd i dont drive the car because i have no insureice right now so there is now info that i give,4th he did call the police to my apt because some people around here said that they seen a tow truck and three police cars that night. So i dont know is i should go to the police or what. Have you guys ever heard of a repo company doing because this is the first time me hearing someone tying to do this. Can i get into any trobule and what do think i should do???

Happy Trails

What is the name of your state? il So my car is on the repo list because i fell behind on a few payments so they send a tow truck out to my home to pick up the car. Now here's were it gets fishey, im not home at the time and they can't find the car of course, so get a call out of no where from the tow company saying that i was involved in a hit and run with the tow truck and that that i tried to flee from by running over my apt lawn then driving into the street to flee. Now this is untrue so i first get a missed call from the guy that was driving the tow truck (the person that is saying all of this) and he tells me some b.s about how he called the cops and he that he's filling out a hit and run report with them and that i have two choices, 1 i can come down to police station and fill out a exit report and give him the car or 2 the cops will come looking for me and when they find me i will be arresited and then he will pick up the car:rolleyes: So thats the first missed call now a few hours later i get another missed call but this time it from the manager of the tow company with more of the same b.s but this time he says that i needed to give them the car at once (i guess no exit report this time) or they fill out the hit and run and i will get charged. So i called him back once i woke up and heard the two missed masseges from them and he starts telling me that i hit is truck and i told him that he lying and there was no hit and run. So then i tell ask him about the damage to the back of his truck (now keep this in mind that there is no damage what so ever to my car at all front or back side to side) but he wont tell me he says that it is all in the police report. I then ask to speak to the person who drove the truck trying to find out what is really going on here and tells me that i cant and the samething that everything is in the police report. I begin to tell him that they are lying and that there was now no hit and run and that i am not giving up the car because i am in the middle of tying to pay my late payments with the lender. So now he tells me that if i give him the car he will drop the hit and run but if i dont he will not. So i let him know now that i am going down to the police and letting them know that it was a false hit and run. He says fine and to call him back with my car insurce info and ends the car. So now i have no idea what to do but the facts are this,1st there were no witness to there at all,2nd there is car tracks next to my apt that i guess that thats were he getting his my so called flee exit from and no body knows where the tracks came from,some teens might have done it late one night no one is sure.3rd i dont drive the car because i have no insureice right now so there is now info that i give,4th he did call the police to my apt because some people around here said that they seen a tow truck and three police cars that night. So i dont know is i should go to the police or what. Have you guys ever heard of a repo company doing because this is the first time me hearing someone tying to do this. Can i get into any trobule and what do think i should do???
Initially my first thought was that the tow truck driver was lying just to get you to turn the car in to them.

At this point, it very well could be that a police report was made.

However, your story gets shaky at the end. Not saying you are lying, but there are some odd comments that you make that seems that there is more to the story.

Yes, you could check with the police department to find out if a report was actually taken that night in regards to a hit and run (that you of course had nothing to do with).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It against the law for you to conceal the vehicle.
And, you really need to clean up your post...paragraphs are your friend.

larry01

Initially my first thought was that the tow truck driver was lying just to get you to turn the car in to them.

At this point, it very well could be that a police report was made.

However, your story gets shaky at the end. Not saying you are lying, but there are some odd comments that you make that seems that there is more to the story.

Yes, you could check with the police department to find out if a report was actually taken that night in regards to a hit and run (that you of course had nothing to do with).
What should i do if there is a police report.Will i need a lawyer,it happened yesterday so could there be a warrent or will the report just get thrown because there is no damage to my car and he knows that is not any to his.The only thing that i forget to tell you guys is that he said that id the car to police with my vin number and plate(with are two things that he already has:rolleyes:) I think that this must be a trick to get the car.Maybe its a slow season for them or something.

Happy Trails

What should i do if there is a police report.Will i need a lawyer,it happened yesterday so could there be a warrent or will the report just get thrown because there is no damage to my car and he knows that is not any to his.The only thing that i forget to tell you guys is that he said that id the car to police with my vin number and plate(with are two things that he already has:rolleyes:) I think that this must be a trick to get the car.Maybe its a slow season for them or something.
Larry, at this point you only know what the tow truck guy and the repo outfit is telling you.

If you truly had nothing to do with the hit and run, you shouldn't worry about being found guilty.

If they did make a report, then it will be investigated. Being that there is no damage to either vehicle seems suspicious, but not impossible. I doubt they would be so stupid to make a false police report just to trick you into turning over the vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">