• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojo11

What is the name of your state? Ca. (Northern)

I have a suspended drivers liscense, for now, and my girlfriend is the policy holder for my insurance. If I crash and cause damages that are more than the insurance coverage, can they sue my girlfriend even if I am covered, and in my own vehicle???

Thank you in advance...

JETX

jojo11 said:
If I crash and cause damages that are more than the insurance coverage, can they sue my girlfriend even if I am covered, and in my own vehicle???
Based solely on the somewhat confusing information in your post... if you are driving YOUR car at the time, your girlfriend wouldn't be liable.

However, you have a much larger problem... If the car is in your name... and you are buying insurance in somone else's name..... your insurance company could deny any claim that you might have. What you are doing is NOT allowed.

Litigation!

jojo11 said:
What is the name of your state? Ca. (Northern)

I have a suspended drivers liscense, for now, and my girlfriend is the policy holder for my insurance. If I crash and cause damages that are more than the insurance coverage, can they sue my girlfriend even if I am covered, and in my own vehicle???

Thank you in advance...
My response:

If you're the one driving, and cause an accident, there won't be any coverage for either of you. Today's policies specifically EXCLUDE unlicensed drivers, and right now, you're not licensed.

If you drive, you take your chances.

IAAL

JETX

Litigation! said:
Today's policies specifically EXCLUDE unlicensed drivers, and right now, you're not licensed.
You're correct.... I missed that little detail!! Mea Culpa!!

Litigation!

JETX said:
You're correct.... I missed that little detail!! Mea Culpa!!

My response:

No need to apologize. Every once in a great while, even I miss a detail. No big deal. You cover my back, and I'll cover yours. It's been that way for 6 years between us. I don't see it ever changing.

IAAL

jojo11

re: can they sue...

So I am not covered, I understand.
The first reply says that they cannot sue her, which is the answer I was hoping to get. It is correct, isn't it?

Litigation!

jojo11 said:
So I am not covered, I understand.
The first reply says that they cannot sue her, which is the answer I was hoping to get. It is correct, isn't it?

My response:

Unless her name is on the title of the car, then no one can sue her for your accident - - unless you're married.

IAAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">