• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they sue me personally?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

langston

What is the name of your state? VA

I was involved in an accident in which neither I nor the other driver believes we were at fault. However, I was cited.

Both companies are investigating our claims. But, I do not have comprehensive coverage on my vehicle, so my company is not fighting for me. They are fighting against the other driver's liability claim. However, they have most helpful and receptive to me and my concerns.

In VA, a company does not have to pay if it does not assess 100% fault on their client. If my company does not pay, will the other company sue me personally for their client's damages?

If this is the case, even though I feel I am not at fault, can I compell my insurance company to pay? Can I drop my not-at-fault claim and claim full responsibility in order to avoid being sued personally?

My car received major damage, but their car did not. It is going to be expensive to get my car fixed. I can afford it, but not if I get sued for their damages as well.

JETX

langston said:
I was involved in an accident in which neither I nor the other driver believes we were at fault. However, I was cited.
Not relevant.

In VA, a company does not have to pay if it does not assess 100% fault on their client.
Are you sure of that??? Seems unlikely to me and rife for legal abuse. What would prevent EVERY claim from being denied since it is extremely hard to prove that any party is 100% liable.

If my company does not pay, will the other company sue me personally for their client's damages?
Simply, if your determined at-fault by the insurance company, it is likely that they will make a claim against your insurance company. If your insurance declines coverage (as they will, based on your post), then the insurance company can pursue their claim against you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">