• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they take my liscense?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gi Lee

What is the name of your state? Florida

In 2003 I was in an auto accident in Iowa and was found to be at fault, my insurance company has refused to pay the claim and it is of an amount that would cost me just as much to pay than fight. The plantiff insurance company's lawyers have sent me a "petition" filed in Iowa and are telling me that if I do not pay or answer they can have my driver's liscense revoked in Florida? Is this true? Is this an action that can be taken by them? I have called and tried to settle out of court for a lesser amount but they refuse and threaten with wage garnishment and revoking my liscense. I am head of household and a single income with one dependant and can't seem to find any real answers on this issue.

LAWYER-002

Gi Lee said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

In 2003 I was in an auto accident in Iowa and was found to be at fault, my insurance company has refused to pay the claim and it is of an amount that would cost me just as much to pay than fight. The plantiff insurance company's lawyers have sent me a "petition" filed in Iowa and are telling me that if I do not pay or answer they can have my driver's liscense revoked in Florida? Is this true? Is this an action that can be taken by them? I have called and tried to settle out of court for a lesser amount but they refuse and threaten with wage garnishment and revoking my liscense. I am head of household and a single income with one dependant and can't seem to find any real answers on this issue.
My response:

If, and when, they win a judgment, yes. It doesn't matter what your life circumstances may be.

IAAL

JETX

LAWYER-002 said:
I'll give you three guesses, and the first two don't count.
Ooooo, pick me!!! Pick Me!! (he says jumping up and down with his hand in the air)!!! :D

ecmst12

Well it can't just be because the accident was his fault, because that's what liability coverage is FOR.

Gi Lee

ecmst12 said:
Why isn't your insurance company providing for your defense?

Good question, paid for 6 months in September, recieved new card late September, wreck in November, company claims I was dumped in late August. I get confused and pull out my hair in December. Pay higher rates in December to a different insurance company because there was a "lapse" in coverage. Funny, there was no "lapse" in payments.

ecmst12

Ah, then it's not that they denied the claim, it's that they're saying you didn't have coverage. Makes sense now.

moburkes

Gi Lee said:
Glad someone understands it, I'm completely lost!:confused:
You didn't have insurance, that's why they denied coverage.

Go though your check book. Write down the dates and amounts of your payments.
Contact the insurance company. Ask for an accounting of the bills they sent which should include the balance, the amounts due, and your payments. You will find that you made one of your payments AFTER the policy had already cancelled. Therefore, you were not covered on the date of the accident.

And, oh, by the way, if your last payment was in September, ask them hwo they applied that payment, and if they issued a refund since there was probably some form of overpayment if your policy had already cancelled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">