• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can We Request The Actual Billing Receipts From The Lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kristi Ski

I am wondering if we could ask for the actual doctor's billing. The lawyer gave us a typed up accounting of our billings with physicians and other party's involved, but I am wondering if we can see the actual sheets that were given to the lawyer. I am wondering how he comes up with an exact amount... no change, no minimum dollars, just a rounded out number of $40,000.00

ON another note, we were told that the hospitals amount was one things months ago, now we are told that it is 5000.00 more. I just don't understand and my husband does not want to ask for the actual billing statements showing the procedures, medications and anything else that we are being billed for. I don't think it is out of the question. I would really just like to see the billing. I want to check it against the lawyers statement. I do not think we are dealing with an honest lawyer. But who knows - it just seems weird that after asking for payment and it taking the lawyer 2 weeks to get back with us that this additional 5000.00 come into the picture. What is up?

Last edited:

Kristi Ski

Wasn't Sure If This Should Be A Separate Thread...

Thank you in advance to the wonderful people who take the time to answer people's questions, whom have come to this website for help. You are a tremendous gift to other's who sometimes have no where else to turn.

I apologize for posting this on another thread. :eek: To be honest, I just wasn't sure if this was or was not a separate thread/question. I did delete the question from the other thread posted, but I don't think I would go as far as to call me "a serial double-poster". And to ablessin'. Why are you apologizing? You were helping someone. And, I really think that it was very kind of you to spend a moment to let me know your thoughts - I see no reason why one should apologize for that.

Now, earlier I apologized for this being so long, but if you don't mind, could you take a moment to review my thread and answer the following questions, (if you are able, and of one with some legal background) I'd appreciate it. If I haven't already wore out my welcome here! :( Then my thanks would be in order. Except to HomeGuru, who should stick to baking at home, spelling isn't your forte. And, to Dear, Mr., SeniorJudge... I thought your first comment to the not so knowledgeable was well thought out, and kindly put, but your second comment was very harsh and tells me what type of person you could be - cut throat & most likely ugly, or - was possibly a bully in school and had to count on daddy to save him when he was ultimately challenged. :)

Now, that covers just about everybody, don't you think?​

So, if I am still welcomed and can count on the professional few, here is my delima. Our lawyer told my husband that we were waiting on the hospital to give us the billing. Waiting for them to come to come to an agreement/settlement on the amount of money they were billing us for. The lawyer told my husband that we were waiting to hear back from the hospital. It was our understanding that all monies had been submitted and it was in negotiations at this point. Which, my husband was told this by the lawyers associate. My husband had called and left several messages to his lawyer to ask for payment, (to us, which we were told was available, except for the hospitals asking amount/billings. Once an agreement had been reached with them and if any $$ was left the lawyer would send us the remainder.) A few weeks went by and my husband decides to call again ask for a check, He left several messages and there were "NO" answers to his calls for nearly two, (2) weeks. So when the lawyers associate finally returns my husbands call, he says that the hospital is asking for an additional 10000$ dollars that they did not bill us for, (or something like that). 10000$ dollars? Isn't that strange that it's an even number, (no change, no dollars, nor hundreds), just an even 10000.00??? I don't get this at all. We thought they were in negotiations, which meant to us that billing had already been submitted from the hospital and our lawyer was trying to negotiate a lessor amount. (which is what the associate told my husband) This guy is making out and when I think of the amount of money he has made, (which is exactly the same amount my husband is getting) then mysteriously another $10000.00 comes into the picture. I'M SORRY, I JUST DON'T GET IT AND IT MAKES ME CRAZY THINKING ABOUT IT. Plus when I ask my husband about it he says, "that is that and we just have to except it. It's more than we would have ever got to begin with." He is right, but I hate the thought of him being taken advantage of, if that is the case. All I want to do at this point is to check the statement, given to us by the lawyer, against the actual billing from the medical offices, hospital and so on.

Now, my bottom line question, (and I'm very sorry to ramble on) but the even amount seems strange to me. Is that possible that $10000.00 is what a billing amount could be after we were already told that they were in negotiations? This 10000.00 EVEN dollar amount?

And yes, we will most defiantely be asking for the actual billings from the lawyer, but I'm afraid he might try and modify the billing. Could we ask the actual physicians, doctors, and anyone else that saw my husband, for their actual billing? But again, this worries me because I know that some of these doctors work closly with the lawyers and they might make them aware of our call. Is that possible as well?

Thank you for you time, help and any direction you feel we should go. It is ever so appreciated and will never be forgotton. I just don't know what to do at this point. I'm at a total loss and only want what is fair to my husband. He has suffered a lot and again, I just want what is fair for him.

Thanks and blessings to you,
~ Kristi
:)

Kristi Ski

To The Not So Weary

Still hoping there are a gracious few, out there, who might endulge me. I really could use the help. And if not, I could always just make a quick phone call to get my answers. But it was my hopes that I could come to this forum and meet some professional people. People who like to help people. Not people who like to glorify themselves and who enjoy bringing people down when we only came here for help and possibly some answers. I would also like to see people who do to help their fellow man, to help other people in their time of need. I really do hope there are still people like that out there.

But, I would like to one final comment and that is if anyone comes to this forum, expecting answers to your questions, be careful how pose your question. Try not to appear redundant, and most importantly, watch out for SeniorJudge, (if in fact he/she is really a judge, which I don't think so) he/she will chew you up and spit you out if you don't give him your lunch money. :p

Much obliged,

~Kristi :)

S

shell007

Kristi Ski said:
Still hoping there are a gracious few, out there, who might endulge me. I really could use the help. And if not, I could always just make a quick phone call to get my answers. But it was my hopes that I could come to this forum and meet some professional people. People who like to help people. Not people who like to glorify themselves and who enjoy bringing people down when we only came here for help and possibly some answers. I would also like to see people who do to help their fellow man, to help other people in their time of need. I really do hope there are still people like that out there.

But, I would like to one final comment and that is if anyone comes to this forum, expecting answers to your questions, be careful how pose your question. Try not to appear redundant, and most importantly, watch out for SeniorJudge, (if in fact he/she is really a judge, which I don't think so) he/she will chew you up and spit you out if you don't give him your lunch money. :p
Much obliged,

~Kristi :)
Teflon_jones already answered your question on 1-28-2006.

Additionally: You should try and listen to your own advice about how to post on this forum. I'm not saying this is the case, but it sounds like you might have had a little bit of an attitude right out of the starting gate. Maybe that is the reason for the lack of responces.

Kristi Ski

shellandty said:
Teflon_jones already answered your question on 1-28-2006.

Additionally: You should try and listen to your own advice about how to post on this forum. I'm not saying this is the case, but it sounds like you might have had a little bit of an attitude right out of the starting gate. Maybe that is the reason for the lack of responces.
Dear Shellandty,

Thank you for your input, but I did have a follow up question to my first question I had. And I actually posted that follow-up question on another thread. At that point, I had some responses that were not very nice, very cut throat, if you'd like my honest opinion. On my first post in this thread, shellandty, can you see where I could have caused any type of harsh remarks? I think not. It was because of the second thread I opened when the fun really began, so to speak, (I deleted that thread, but if you could have read it, you may have and idea where I am coming from.)

Dang it, I really wish I did not delete it.

I knew very well my how my attitude was on my second posting on this thread. But thanks for noticing.

seniorjudge

Kristi Ski said:
Not true...I only extort bus money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">