• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can we be sued if acquitted previously?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rivi

What is the name of your state? oregon...my husband was working for a delivery company and rear ended another person. It seems that when he rear ended her, she was trying to make a turn without a turn signal and without being in the turn lane. In traffic court, the police officer who was at the scene was there and my husband was acquitted by the judge who said that there had been no traffic violation committed by my husband. Well, one year and 9 months later, she decided to sue my husband, the delivery company he worked for and another company who hit her car a few months later (completely unrelated to our accident). What are our rights here? Can she really do this and how do we respond? Thanks.

stephenk

yes she can sue for her damages. the traffic court decision plays no part in her lawsuit.

make sure any legal documents served on your husband are turned over to his employer so they can forward it to their insurance company. your husband will be defended by his employer's insurance attorneys since he was on the job at the time of the accident.

R

rivi

But she can sue my husband personally? It seems that since he was acting as an agent for the delivery company at the time that the suit should just be against the company. How is it possible for him to be responsible for paying her injuries if he committed no traffic violation, therefore, he wasn't at fault.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">