• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you exceed liability limits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

werdun

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My daughter was the victim of a serious injury auto accident, broken bones, surgery, pins & plates, but expected to heal fully with therapy. Our insurance company is taking care of all medical. The other driver was 100% at fault (ran a red light at high speed). We consulted a personal injury attorney who is at the point of settlement now, claiming the maximum my daughter is entitled to collect for personal injury is $100,000 which is the maximum liability amount on the other driver's auto policy. In a "no-fault state" can you exceed the liability limit amount or is our attorney going the easy route of avoiding a trial and simply taking his cut from this amount? Please let me know. Thx.

enjay

You can sue the other driver for more, but if he has no assets you'll never collect. The whole a bird in hand is worth two in the bush thing.

ecmst12

If she's expected to heal fully with therapy, I can't imagine the lawyer thinks her case could be worth more then $100k.

ecmst12 said:
If she's expected to heal fully with therapy, I can't imagine the lawyer thinks her case could be worth more then $100k.
Have to agree with this. Little information but $100K may be enough.

But as stated, you can sue the other person for any amount you want and see what a jury will give you. Then you have to hope the other person has a way to pay over their limits. They may have an excess policy (or umbrella) that may provide addl coverage but don't count on it.

Another option is to file a Underinsured Motorist Claim with your insurance company, if you believe the $100K is not enough to compensate your daughter. Most states don't allow an increase in premiums when a UIM claim is paid and if you have UIM coverage you might as well use it (after all, your paying for it).

Just a suggestion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">