• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cancelled Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcdarmch

What is the name of your state? Calfornia

I lost control of my car and rear ended a parked car, which in turn hit a fire hydrant that caused water to spill/flow everywhere and cause damage to 2 homes. i had a brand new car worth $42,000 that is now totalled, and which i can no longer drive--sitting at my house.

when i called my insurance company they told me that they had cancelled my insurance 2 months before. prior to the cancellation, i had full coverage and did not know that it was cancelled because i am on my parent's policy and they recieve all of the letters from the company. anyhow, they did not know of the cancellation either.

the insurance company's reason for cancellation was because my mom did not sign a notice of exclusion, to exclude my younger sister from the policy (which she had never been on, but which my mom wanted to add her to). my mom made numerous calls to the company and even went into our local branch office to get advice on the exclusion form, but no one ever gave her a direct answer.

she recieved a cancellation letter, but did not realize it was a cancellation letter because there was no real reason on our part (such as non-payment of premium, accident, etc), of why our insurance was cancelled (we have had the same insurance for 15 years). additionally, my mom purchased a new vehicle during the time that our insurance was cancelled, and had no problems. we have 6 cars under this policy and none of the lien holders had been notified that the insurance was cancelled.

now i am being sued by the owner of the truck that i hit, and by the insurance company of the house i caused water damage to.

i have sent a certified letter to our insurance company with a copy of the summons and demand letters from the other insurance company, requesting that they defend me--i have not yet heard back from them.

is there anything else i can do? and is there anyway i can get my insurance company to pay for my car loss? or will i have to continue to pay for my car even though it is inoperable??

:confused: :confused:

carofl93

mcdarmch said:
What is the name of your state? Calfornia

I lost control of my car and rear ended a parked car, which in turn hit a fire hydrant that caused water to spill/flow everywhere and cause damage to 2 homes. i had a brand new car worth $42,000 that is now totalled, and which i can no longer drive--sitting at my house.

when i called my insurance company they told me that they had cancelled my insurance 2 months before. prior to the cancellation, i had full coverage and did not know that it was cancelled because i am on my parent's policy and they recieve all of the letters from the company.
You have a $42,000 car and it's under your parents insurance? Wow. Sorry I have no sort of advice...shellshocked!

Carol

JETX

mcdarmch said:
when i called my insurance company they told me that they had cancelled my insurance 2 months before. prior to the cancellation, i had full coverage and did not know that it was cancelled because i am on my parent's policy and they recieve all of the letters from the company. anyhow, they did not know of the cancellation either.
Why didn't they 'know'???

the insurance company's reason for cancellation was because my mom did not sign a notice of exclusion, to exclude my younger sister from the policy (which she had never been on, but which my mom wanted to add her to).
Clearly, they requested her to sign the exclusion (presumably more than once) and she failed to do so. The insurance company was within their rights to cancel to protect themselves.

my mom made numerous calls to the company and even went into our local branch office to get advice on the exclusion form, but no one ever gave her a direct answer.
Okay, but that changes nothing.

she recieved a cancellation letter, but did not realize it was a cancellation letter because there was no real reason on our part (such as non-payment of premium, accident, etc), of why our insurance was cancelled (we have had the same insurance for 15 years).
Okay, now you are contradicting yourself. Above you said they "did not know of the cancellation", yet here you say they did!! So, which is it???

i have sent a certified letter to our insurance company with a copy of the summons and demand letters from the other insurance company, requesting that they defend me--i have not yet heard back from them.
And what do response do you think you will get?? Yep. Sorry, no insurance.

is there anything else i can do?
Doesn't sound like it.

and is there anyway i can get my insurance company to pay for my car loss?
Doesn't sound like it.

or will i have to continue to pay for my car even though it is inoperable??
Sounds like it.

stephenk

you and your parents (if they are registered owners of the car you were driving) will need to hire an attorney specializing in insurance coverage disputes. Carriers have to follow specific rules before a cancellation can take effect.

Lynx 36

Quote: "you and your parents (if they are registered owners of the car you were driving) will need to hire an attorney specializing in insurance coverage disputes. Carriers have to follow specific rules before a cancellation can take effect."

This is correct, but they were cancelled b/c the insured didn't sign a letter of exclusion that was requested by the insurance company. In this situation the insurance company is w/in their rights to cancel their policy.

They will need an atty anyway to help them w/ all the litigation coming their way.

stephenk

Without knowing how many named insureds were on the policy, since only mom received a cancellation letter, it seems the carrier failed to notify all of the named insureds of the pending cancellation. If mom is only named insured, then poster is out of luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">