• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can't get insurance company to send anything by mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tinaree123

What is the name of your state? NM
I have had a USAA number for 30 years. They have "owned" me all that time. I held auto, home and life insurance policies. I had a bank account and a mastercard. Every auto loan I got, even my mortgage, has been through USAA.
In 2004 my insured husband had a near fatal motorcycle accident and became disabled. We went from a 2 income home to a one income home plus extra medical bills overnight. I struggled with these bills as long as I could including working overtime and giving him care (He no longer drives due to a head injury and loss of sight so must I do all errands, trips to tests, doctors plus any driving of the kids ). Eventually we had to file bankruptcy. USAA's mastercard was included but I continued to pay all premiums on all of my policies. I did all of my business with ussa online or on the phone with a toll free number for years. Nothing was sent to me by mail during all that time because I had complete access to all documents, accounts and bills on their website.
A year and 6months after the bankruptcy was final I attempted to login at USAA and got a message that my access was denied and I had to call a number. I was told that due to my bankruptcy I could no longer use online or tollfree phone number services ever again. All my ebills went to that account including bills and policies from USAA (even my car insurance cards). I told them I would need all these documents to be sent to me by snail mail from then on in and they agreed this would happen automatically.
That was back in october of 2006. Since then I have written two letters and called ussa multiple times to try and get this to happen. Each time I call I am able to get my bank statements for that month eventually sent to me ( sometimes 2 months out) and I am able to get a verbal total for my bill but I hve yet to be able to get them to send any of these things by mail.
I am beginning to think they are keeping my documents and bills from me in order to get rid of me as a customer. Can they legally do this. I have been guessing at when my bills are due and sending what I think the payments should be but I have recently bought a used vehicle for my now driving 16 yr old and I have added him to my policy and I am afraid they will never send me a card for his vehicle. I called Jan 12 was told my min payment (which I paid that day) and was told that bill was mailed to me on dec 20, and was assured all future correspondence would come by mail from that date on. It never came and no bills have come for feb even though I know I owe more.
I understand that this is their website and they can arbitrailly do as they wish with it. But I was pretty angry when I was told by a representaive back in October 06 that I was "lucky" I was allowed to use the website as long as I did after my bankruptcy because this had always been the policy. My written response to them was that I believed what they called my luck I called their negligence. Is this harassment or even illegal or can they keep these documents and bills from me legally? What can I do to force them to send these things to me? What do i do next?What is the name of your state?

moburkes

Have you verified the mailing address? Have you asked for them to fax you a copy of the insurance policy and ID cards? They more than likely will NOT fax a bank statement. Have you spoken to a supervisor? Have you documented each and every call that you've made (in a notebook, for example)? Have you contacted the department of insurance for your state? I'm not sure what division of your state regulates banks, but it will be a division that deals with financial institutions.

No, this is not legal for them not to provide you with your personal information.

xylene

What can I do to force them to send these things to me? What do i do next?What is the name of your state?
If they are withholding things you paid for (proof of insurance, bank records) than you need to fight this.

I do not understand why you simply have not swithced to another insurance carrier. That would be the simplest, most expedient solution. Any number of direct carriers would be able to fax or allow you to download insurance cards within moments of purchase.

In the future don't but all those eggs in one financial basket.

Your loyalty to this company - I do not understand.

This companies policies (increasing the cost to service your account) - I also do not understand.

tinaree123

I have kept copies of my letters and I have verified my address which has not changed in 20 years. Unfortuanately I have not kept a notebook but I can track my contacts via dates my payments have been made. The last time I called ( Jan 12) they did transfer me to a superviser who said the setttings had never been changed in the computer and that she had done this that day. Doesn't look like that has happened. I have been searching for a way to report them to the insurance commision for my state but I was hoping I wouldn't have to resort to that. It looks like I will have to doesn't it? This is the only such form I have been able to find.
http://www.nmprc.state.nm.us/consumers/pdf/consumrinscmpltfrm.pdf
It does not have a place for an accounting of the problem so I was not sure if it was the correct form.

tinaree123

If they are withholding things you paid for (proof of insurance, bank records) than you need to fight this.

I do not understand why you simply have not swithced to another insurance carrier. That would be the simplest, most expedient solution. Any number of direct carriers would be able to fax or allow you to download insurance cards within moments of purchase.

In the future don't but all those eggs in one financial basket.

Your loyalty to this company - I do not understand.

This companies policies (increasing the cost to service your account) - I also do not understand.
I tried to get another insurance company but due to my bankruptcy and having a 16 yr old boy and my husbands costly accident the rates have all been twice what I am currently paying. I have gotten another bank account but I have some automatic payments that come out of that account that I can't stop because they are to usaa and I can't access the account changes area. One is a life insurance policy on my husband that I know if I loose I will never be able to get life insurance on him again with his health problems. I was widowed 13 years ago with 3 small boys and no insurance and that will never happen to me again. So I continue to direct deposit a part of my paycheck automatically to that account to make those payments.

moburkes

I tried to get another insurance company but due to my bankruptcy and having a 16 yr old boy and my husbands costly accident the rates have all been twice what I am currently paying. I have gotten another bank account but I have some automatic payments that come out of that account that I can't stop because they are to usaa and I can't access the account changes area. One is a life insurance policy on my husband that I know if I loose I will never be able to get life insurance on him again with his health problems. I was widowed 13 years ago with 3 small boys and no insurance and that will never happen to me again. So I continue to direct deposit a part of my paycheck automatically to that account to make those payments.
Life insurance. There should be a different customer service # for life insurance questions, including payments. You should not cancel the life insurance policy that you already have, but you should pull out that dusty old policy, and look for a customer service phone # to call. They should be able to help you get your bank account information changed. This will take some extra effort, since you must then stop the auto deposits into that account, but, in my opinion, it will be worth it, to get rid of the headache.

tinaree123

Thank you for your replies. It did not occur to me that I need to report this through banking lines and not insurance lines so I will start there and do the other things you have suggested. I have tried to get new auto ins but I am working very hard at restoring what used to be my perfect credit and I know each time you have a credit check to try and get a new policy quote it causes your credit score to drop so i am leary of doing too many of these. I am working one full time job ( 12 hour shifts 7 days per 2wk pay period ) and one part time job ( 12 hour shifts 3 days per 2wk pay period ) so I am very hard to get a hold of and all this is so time consuming on my only 10 days off per month. I can't be called at work because i am an er nurse and can't predict when I will be able to take/make or even finish a phone call. Lunch breaks don't even exist. But regardless, you are right. I need to get off my butt and make some changes. The last three years have been way too stressful. Thank you again.

moburkes

Thank you for your replies. It did not occur to me that I need to report this through banking lines and not insurance lines so I will start there and do the other things you have suggested. I have tried to get new auto ins but I am working very hard at restoring what used to be my perfect credit and I know each time you have a credit check to try and get a new policy quote it causes your credit score to drop so i am leary of doing too many of these. I am working one full time job ( 12 hour shifts 7 days per 2wk pay period ) and one part time job ( 12 hour shifts 3 days per 2wk pay period ) so I am very hard to get a hold of and all this is so time consuming on my only 10 days off per month. I can't be called at work because i am an er nurse and can't predict when I will be able to take/make or even finish a phone call. Lunch breaks don't even exist. But regardless, you are right. I need to get off my butt and make some changes. The last three years have been way too stressful. Thank you again.
You need to report these things to both regulatory agencies. The insurance one for the insurance problems. The banking one for the banking problems. You are incorrect about the hits on your credit report. If you get a quote directly from an insurance company (State Farm, GEICO, Travelers, Encompass, The Hartford, etc), the hit will be soft, and will not affect your score. If you use an independent agent or agency, which runs your information through several carriers, then it will be a hard hit, because, since they aren't an actual insurance company, they cannot get the soft hit. See www.myfico.com for more information.

tinaree123

Thank you for that clarification, I did not know there was a differance. I am hoping to get a transfer in 4 years to somewhere warmer and will need to buy a house so I have been very worried about making sure I can get my credit in better shape. You have been very helpful, thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">