• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can't get insurance unless you have insurance ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

glena

What is the name of your state? nebraska. small town nebraska. my brother let his auto insurance lapse. now all agents in town tell him they can't insure him because he's not insured !!! he is 47. has had tickets years ago, too long ago to possibly still count. can they do this?????

Last edited:

smorr

Depending on the state laws, sometimes they can. I'm from Massachusetts and if you let your auto insurance lapse and not pay the premium, you'll have to pay the old premium before anyone else can insure you and they still have the option to turn you down! Go figure! But that's the way it is here. This could be true in Nebraska also. And, if you have outstanding parking tickets, you cannot get a registration (since that info is sent to the Registry of Motor Vehicles in this state after a certain time and you haven't paid). Parking tickets here never go away, they're kept in a database at the Registry. Remember, I'm going by Massachusetts laws, but the laws in your state may be similar if not exact.

I can only suggest that your brother pay the old premium if he owes any, the parking tickets may have to be paid too, no matter how old they are and then try his best to find an agency or company that will insure him.

By the way, age makes no difference here - it's a matter of paying the premium for the insurance and any tickets or moving violations you get.

tammy8

Is he trying for just liablity or full coverage? I know in NC we can not turn anyone down for liabiltiy (although if they are repeat cancellers---if there is such a word we can require them to pay the full premium at once plus any past due amounts). Full coverage policies usually do require atleast 6 months of contineous liablity in order to insure someone. If he does need full coverage why not offer to pay the full premium of liabiltiy and then in 6 monthes opt for full coverage. It might cost a mint but if you gotta have it, you gotta.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">