• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PSANTIAGO

What is the name of your state? IL- My husband and I were hit from behind and pushed into oncoming traffic and we were struck from a second car. The adjuster from the liable party's insurance company has made an offer to settle the claim, since our car was deemed a total loss. They want to offer the value of car minus salvage fees. I want them to also reimburse us for a custom paint job our car had 48 hrs prior to the accident. Can I get them to pay for that? Or am I just entitled to the value of the car?

chadson8823

Unfortunately not

Insurance Law is quite explicite as for as payment for loss and unfortunately, you will not be reimbursed for the new paint job. That would also include any new repairs etc recently done.

JETX

PSANTIAGO said:
What is the name of your state? IL- My husband and I were hit from behind and pushed into oncoming traffic and we were struck from a second car. The adjuster from the liable party's insurance company has made an offer to settle the claim, since our car was deemed a total loss. They want to offer the value of car minus salvage fees. I want them to also reimburse us for a custom paint job our car had 48 hrs prior to the accident. Can I get them to pay for that? Or am I just entitled to the value of the car?
Can you get them to reimburse for the paint?? Who knows. You might be a very skilled negotiator... However, there is NO obligation for them to. The problem you have is that the paint job doesn't enhance the salvage value at all. Looks like you are going to get to eat that one....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">