• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ram7764

I live in Michigan. I was involved in a car accident in October. I stopped at a stop sign and waited to turn left off a residential street onto a high-traffic street near my neighborhood at a hill (left was the top of the hill, right was the bottom). There was a slight fog and most people had their headlights on. I had to creep up to the corner to see both ways, because it was garbage day and everyone had their cans out at the curb. I looked left and right and proceeded out into the street, when this lady hit me coming from the left. She did not have any lights on at all, and based on the visibility, she should have had at least some parking lights on. I am convinced that I would have seen her if she had lights on. I got a ticket for "failure to yeild" from the police, but it was later put on a 6 month advisement after which it will be dismissed. There were no injuries in the accident, but her car was totalled. I have full coverage which covered my damage, and she only had PLPD. She is now suing me for $3000 in Small Claims Court, the max under our laws, trial later this month.

I have found Michigan law documents that indicate that the maximum amount of damages that can be collected for non-injury accidents is $500.

My questions are:

How do I introduce this law document into my case?
Should I try to convince the judge that the fault is 50/50, and to throw the case out?
Do I really have a chance at winning?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">