• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car accident accusation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sammmiee

car accident accusation & dates

What is the name of your state? NY

Today i just received a notice from the NYS Dept of Motor Vehicles stating my license was suspended due to an unpaid judgement from a car accident. The accident was to have happened 8/10/02, the judgement entered 8/3/04, in a Queens county NY court.

I haven't been in Queens in maybe 5 or more years, and even then it was one time in over thirty years! How could I have had an accident in Queens? About two years ago I did receive mail from one of those credit repair centers stating they could help me with a judgement against me, from a car accident. They also said, if this is untrue I should disregard the letter, which I did. As of the end of November my Experion credit report, didn't even have a judgement on it.

Now I have no idea what to do. If I had hit someone, surely I would have some sort of driver information somewhere. Yet there is none. How am I supposed to prove it wasn't me? How do I do this?

Not only this, but there are complications. I have to leave some sort of margin for error, so I cannot say with 100% certainty it wasn't me. During this time, I was in therapy. My mother had died a painful, lingering death from cancer. I was there, 24/7 trying to recover from an assault at my last job, and became the caregiver as well as housekeeper, etc. Apparently the stressors had exacerbated some other issues and I wasn't the picture of mental health. During this time period, I remember my car needing repairs, but of the internal engine type, like an alternator. Maybe a suspension? But I couldn't for the life of me remember when those repairs occurred. There are other blank spaces from that time period. I usually fill them in from any email I might still have, in which I reference things. I did have one accident during this time, but it was minor and handled by my insurance company. If any other accident had happened during this time, I would have spoken about it with my therapist, and would have received a treatment plan for dealing with it. She would never have allowed it to go unattended. Yet there are no notes or papers from therapy mentioning this accident in any way. I doubt I had this accident.

What do I do? I have no idea as to how to handle this. Friends have said that disputing this would cost more than the approx $2000.00 they want. I would also be without a drivers license for the duration. (either way its sell-a-kidney-time :eek:. I get $226.66 every two weeks from workers comp disability, and my credit cards are maxed out). Not disputing would mean making payments for an accident I'm pretty sure I didn't have (an unhappy thought), but would mean I keep my license. The assault injury makes carrying things a painful action, and I must grocery shop for my 88 yr old father, and his dog.

Should I just suck it up, write it off to living in NY, and just find some way to give these people what they want?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">