• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Accident after Stop Sign..HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sdrealtor45

What is the name of your state? CA

I had a stop sign, looked both ways and continued to make a left turn in a parking lot. I didn't see a car that was driving kind of fast. The car ended up hitting my back rear bumper/wheel well with his front bumper as I was making my left turn. There was no stop sign for him. I think its his fault, but he's saying I have a stop sign so its my fault. we agreed on me paying him $650 for his bumper so I don't need to claim my insurance. I don't want to let my insurance know, but I think its his fault in a way. Please help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? CA

I had a stop sign, looked both ways and continued to make a left turn in a parking lot. I didn't see a car that was driving kind of fast. The car ended up hitting my back rear bumper/wheel well with his front bumper as I was making my left turn. There was no stop sign for him. I think its his fault, but he's saying I have a stop sign so its my fault. we agreed on me paying him $650 for his bumper so I don't need to claim my insurance. I don't want to let my insurance know, but I think its his fault in a way. Please help.
What do you need help with? You failed to yield at a stop sign. You agreed to pay for the damage.
Just make sure that you get a full release for all damages and injuries related to the accident.

las365

Why do you pay for auto liability insurance? Because it is required by law? Yes. So you won't get a ticket for not having it? That's another good reason.

But the real reason to have insurance is so that you have backup if you cause an accident. You have a company whose business is to deal with the consequences of your negligence for you. They investigate it, they pay for the damage you caused, they get a release of all the claims against you. That's what you are paying for.

For the love of dog, don't be a fool. Use your insurance for the purpose for which it is intended.

ecmst12

Normally I would say it's your fault because you had the stop sign. However, you were nearly through your turn when you were hit; there's a decent argument that he should have been able to avoid you and so should accept a percentage of fault. But your insurance company would have to handle that, unless you want to let him take you to court. You're still going to have the majority of fault but your insurance company can argue that you're only 80% at fault instead of 100% and reduce your liability. This is what you pay them for, again. And you won't have to pay anything out of pocket either way, if you let them take care of it. The choice is yours.

sdrealtor45

Why do you pay for auto liability insurance? Because it is required by law? Yes. So you won't get a ticket for not having it? That's another good reason.

But the real reason to have insurance is so that you have backup if you cause an accident. You have a company whose business is to deal with the consequences of your negligence for you. They investigate it, they pay for the damage you caused, they get a release of all the claims against you. That's what you are paying for.

For the love of dog, don't be a fool. Use your insurance for the purpose for which it is intended.
why? because my insurance would skyrocket for the next 3 years, and $650 is less than what it would go up by over the next 3 years.

sdrealtor45

Normally I would say it's your fault because you had the stop sign. However, you were nearly through your turn when you were hit; there's a decent argument that he should have been able to avoid you and so should accept a percentage of fault. But your insurance company would have to handle that, unless you want to let him take you to court. You're still going to have the majority of fault but your insurance company can argue that you're only 80% at fault instead of 100% and reduce your liability. This is what you pay them for, again. And you won't have to pay anything out of pocket either way, if you let them take care of it. The choice is yours.
thanks for the useful reply! i appreciate it. i think i'll just let my insurance take care of it.

ecmst12

Your insurance may NOT go up by a ton or at all for such a small accident, it depends on your policy and your state. In PA, they can't surcharge you unless they have to pay out more then $1100 in property damage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">