• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car accident caused by a driver excluded from dad's policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krs42

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My car was damaged by a careless young female driver. We exchanged insurance information and called police. The female driver was cited for illegal lane change and was given a ticket by the police. I informed my insurance company and also contacted the other party's insurance company only to be told that they will not cover the cost of the damages because the young driver was driving her dad's truck and is excluded from his insurance policy. The young driver does not have her own insurance policy. What are the avenues available to me to recover the cost of repairing my vehicle? My own insurance company is of no help since the amount is less than $2000 and they say the chances are not good to recover the cost. Instead they are willing to send me the check to fix the vehicle. Something seems to be wrong here when the offending party is allowed to go unpunished? Thanks for your suggestions.

LawMakerIAAL

krs42 said:
What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My car was damaged by a careless young female driver. We exchanged insurance information and called police. The female driver was cited for illegal lane change and was given a ticket by the police. I informed my insurance company and also contacted the other party's insurance company only to be told that they will not cover the cost of the damages because the young driver was driving her dad's truck and is excluded from his insurance policy. The young driver does not have her own insurance policy. What are the avenues available to me to recover the cost of repairing my vehicle? My own insurance company is of no help since the amount is less than $2000 and they say the chances are not good to recover the cost. Instead they are willing to send me the check to fix the vehicle. Something seems to be wrong here when the offending party is allowed to go unpunished? Thanks for your suggestions.

How do you know what the State is going to do, or not do to her, for her failure to drive without insurance? And, what does it matter to you, anyway?

As long as you use your Uninsured Motorist coverage under your own policy, then you'll be made whole, and the other driver and the owner of that vehicle, will be worrying about your insurance company when it comes after them in a Subrogation lawsuit.

IAAL

lwpat

Call the officer that investigated the accident and insist he also issue a ticket for no insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">