• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Accident, Dog in Back Seat

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

timmah

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Got into a car accident almost exactly 2 years ago. It has already been determined by my insurance company and police that the woman was at fault. She also admitted to me AND the officer who filed the report that she was at fault. She had no license and no insurance at the time of the accident. About 4 weeks ago i was requested to go to court by my insurance company.
My question is, in Ohio is there a law against animals riding in your vehicle. And i guess another question i have would be...Who is at fault, she admitted it was her fault to me and the police officer, how can she turn around and say its not after this long?

The women sent me a letter basically saying the dog was a distraction and is now saying that I am at fault. So nearly 2 years later she is changing her story and saying I was the one at fault.

Dog was in the back seat laying down. Until i had to slam on my brakes of course.
-My Dog had its leash on(if that makes a difference).

I dont have a lawyer, my insurance company is handling it all for me but im being called to court to im assuming tell my side of the story.

Accident Details :
Heavy Traffic, 3 Lanes of highway , the middle and right lanes were backed up at the time and movement in those lanes was stop and Go. I was in the left hand land traveling ~35-45mph , she attempted to get into the left hand from a dead stop and there was no way humanly possible for me avoid hitting her. I hit the brakes as soon as she cut over, i couldn't have done anything to avoid hitting her.

Like i said earlier, she admitted to me that it was her fault and said that she just didnt see me.

Any Information is appreciated.
If any additional information is needed please let me know.

-Tim

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Ohio

Got into a car accident almost exactly 2 years ago. It has already been determined by the insurance companies and police that the woman was at fault. She had no license and no insurance. At the time of the accident i had my dog laying down the back seat of my car. About 4 weeks ago i was requested to go to court by my insurance company. My question is, in Ohio is there a law against animals riding in your vehicle.

The women sent me a letter basically saying the dog was a distraction. Dog was in the back seat laying down.Until i had to slam on my brakes of course.

-My Dog had its leash on(if that makes a difference).

Any Information is appreciated.
If any additional information is needed please let me know.

-Tim
This is a little confusing. Why do you need to go to court if her insurance company agrees they are responsible?

xylene

You should NOT be corresponding in ANY WAY directly with the woman your were in a car accident with.

If she sends you any correspondence, you should send it directly to the claims agent / insurance rep / lawyer (whoever) who is handling your case.

Is she suing you?

Please describe the accident.

Do you have a lawyer?

What has your insurance company said.

Don't talk to the woman or her insurance company unless SPECIFICALLY told that you MUST by your insurance company or a legal order.

timmah

I am letting my insurance company handle all the work, i have not made any communication with the lady and have only discussed the matter with the insurance company.

ecmst12

The dog is not a factor. If she admits to cutting you off, she's at fault. If not, then if there are witnesses who confirm she cut you off, she's at fault. If she was cited for an unsafe lane change based on the officer's investigation and interviews at the scene, then it's very very likely she'll be found at fault. If not, and it's just your word vs hers, then you might be in trouble.

VeronicaLodge

This is a little confusing. Why do you need to go to court if her insurance company agrees they are responsible?

i think he said she didnt have insurance. sounds like his insurance company paid his claim and is now suing the lady and she is defending herself. his insurance company is calling him to testify.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">