• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Accident Due To Ice On The Road

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SIG

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? VIRGINIA

I HAD A CAR ACCIDENT WHILE DRIVING TO WORK ON A 2 LANE ROAD. I WAS DRIVING AROUND THE CURVE AND THERE WAS A LARGE PATCH OF ICE ON THE ROAD. I COULD NOT AVOID DRIVING THROUGH IT BECAUSE THERE WAS A CAR COMING IN THE OTHER LANE. I WAS NOT SPEEDING BUT MY CAR SLID THROUGH THE ICE AND I LOST CONTROL AND SLAMMED INTO A FENCE CAUSING MAJOR DAMAGE TO MY CAR. $8000 WORTH. THE COP AT THE SCENE STATED THAT IT WAS DUE TO THE ICE ON THE ROADS AND I WAS NOT AT FAULT AND I DID NOT RECEIVE A CITATION. HE ALSO CALLED PUBLIC WORKS TO COME AND SAND THE ROADS. I AM ANGRY THAT I HAVE TO PAY MY INSURANCE DED. AND ALSO THAT I HAVE SLIGHT NECK PAIN NOW BECAUSE OF THIS. I FEEL AS IF THIS IS SOMETHING I COULDN'T AVOID. SHOULDN'T THE CITY BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS. WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT THIS. I FEEL LIKE THEY WERE NEGLIGENT IN PROPERLY MAINTAINING SAFE ROADS. IF IT WASN'T ME THAT MORNING I'M SURE IT WOULD HAVE BEEN SOMEONE ELSE. WHAT CAN I DO TO GET THE CITY TO BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR THIS.

djohnson

First stop using caps.

Second, you get nothing. It's your responsibility also. If you know the weather and you know it's a possibility, then you proceed with caution like every road is like that. No city can magically make it all go away instantly. Be thankful you didn't get hurt worse.

SIG

Response To Reply

Virginia.

I understand that it you have to be cautious. I sure was and like I said I couldn't avoid the situation. I know that you have to be responsible for whatever the road conditions are while driving but it wasn't snowing, it wasn't raining or anything. I can only guess that the road was wet due to some work being done and it froze because of the low temps. I don't think that I should be responsible for what happened. I am very thankful that I wasn't seriously injured or killed.

Lynx 36

SIG said:
Virginia.
I can only guess that the road was wet due to some work being done and it froze because of the low temps. I don't think that I should be responsible for what happened.
This is the problem with people in today's society. Nobody ever wants to take responsibility f/ anything. It's always someone, or something elses fault. Well you know what, bad things happen to good people. It is the driver's responsibility to maintain control of their vehicle.......yes even in bad weather. You see, we humans here on good ole planet earth cannot control what Mother Nature does, we can only try to adapt when she deals us her wrath. You are responsible, you chose to drive in the conditions. The road crews will do the best they can to keep the snow melted, but there are no guarantees, and legally, they can't be held responsible f/ keeping every little patch of ice off the road. This should be just plain old common sense, but people lack quite a bit of this as well.

rmet4nzkx

SIG said:
Virginia.

I understand that it you have to be cautious. I sure was and like I said I couldn't avoid the situation. I know that you have to be responsible for whatever the road conditions are while driving but it wasn't snowing, it wasn't raining or anything. I can only guess that the road was wet due to some work being done and it froze because of the low temps. I don't think that I should be responsible for what happened. I am very thankful that I wasn't seriously injured or killed.
If you can prove there was water on the road from road work, not assumption, then you might be able to sue, but if it was just due to weather conditions, no.

SIG

Virginia

To the smart one who can't READ what I wrote I stated that there was no snow and there was no rain so I'm assuming it came from some sort of road work. Not my fault at all. I am very responsible. Let me see you going through ice which by the way was in the curve so you wouldn't see it until you came around it and you couldn't get in the other lane because there was a car coming and lose control of a car. Don't comment on something like that if you have never been in a car that goes out of control. Very scary!!!! I chose to drive you are correct but the condition I think was due to something that could have been prevented if the roads were maintained properly. The city can't do everything but I think this is one case that could have been prevented.

teflon_jones

So the question is: Why was there water on the road? You still haven't said where it came from, just that the town may be responsible. What are you basing this on?

If it was due to mother nature, this is entirely your fault. If not, then you may have cause to blame someone else.

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

You can have ice without snow or rain.
Last time I was in VA, it was very humid, I understand and am informed that is common.
Humidity condenses first into water :eek: and then ice as the temp drops.

By all means check with the dept of public works and/or highway dept to see if there was work in that area which would have resulted in wet/icy road conditions, but until then the laws of mother nature and physics will prevail.

SIG

No Proof

I really don't have any proof about why there was water on the roads. I only know it wasn't snowing or raining. I can't prove what it was from just my assumptions of where it came from.

teflon_jones

Then sorry, but based on the facts you've presented here, this is entirely your fault. You're also responsible for any damages to the fence that you slammed into.

rmet4nzkx

SIG said:
I really don't have any proof about why there was water on the roads. I only know it wasn't snowing or raining. I can't prove what it was from just my assumptions of where it came from.
Assumptions are not enough, you are lucky you didn't get cited.

Lynx 36

SIG said:
Virginia

To the smart one who can't READ what I wrote I stated that there was no snow and there was no rain so I'm assuming it came from some sort of road work. Not my fault at all. I am very responsible. Let me see you going through ice which by the way was in the curve so you wouldn't see it until you came around it and you couldn't get in the other lane because there was a car coming and lose control of a car. Don't comment on something like that if you have never been in a car that goes out of control. Very scary!!!! I chose to drive you are correct but the condition I think was due to something that could have been prevented if the roads were maintained properly. The city can't do everything but I think this is one case that could have been prevented.
Then sue.......By the way my Humvee rolled when I ran over a land mine in Iraq. That out of control enough for ya?

Last edited:

nvaughan3

SIG said:

I'm not following why you would assume that ice on the road would come from road work. Why wouldn't you assume it from someone who threw their coke out the window the night before?

nextwife

This is really a "Well Dah!". If the outside temp is hovering around or below 32 degrees, the possibility of ice on the road exists, thus one drives accordingly. One cannot possibly expect every section of road that exists in a county to be monitored 24 hours a day in case a wet section might ice up! Good grief. When it gets near freezing temps, expect ice possibilities or "black ice".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">