• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car accident in grocery store parking lot!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ne303

What is the name of your state? Colorado
I was involved in an auto accident in a grocery store parking lot. We didnt call the police because someone there told us both that police do not have jurisdiction in private parking lots. I feel we were equally at fault and since we both suffered damage to our vehicles, we should be responsible for fixing our own cars. The other driver wants to blame me and thinks I should fix his car. What should I do?

ShyCat

gkisystems, you do realize there are huge differences between criminal and civil cases, don't you? How you can equate murder with a parking lot fender bender is beyond me.

ecmst12

But police in most areas have many better things to do then write reports on parking lot fender benders with no injuries. Even if you call them, and even if they come, all they will do is help the drivers exchange info and won't write a report or make a fault determination. If it's not a hit and run, there's no point to even calling.

ecmst12

You must live in a small town or have called on a slow day.

The police MAY write a report about a minor accident on private property. 9 times out of 10, they will not. In fact, 8 times out of 10, they won't write a report about a minor accident on PUBLIC property either. If there are no injuries and both cars can be driven away, most of the time the police won't do a report. Auto accidents are a civil matter in the vast majority of cases, and the police are not required to investigate them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">