• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car accident with an Insurance Agent!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cierra

Washington State

When I was 15 I got my permit and my parents set my up with a car, no insurance was on the vehicle yet because I was not allowed to drive it, it was a 1990 Ford Explorer.

I was a pretty naive young driver, I thought I was the best I guess at driving and I had a friend who had a lot of problems and ended up being homeless so I wanted to help him out by driving him to his dads in Oregon.

As I am leaving Oregon I'm at a red light and it turns green. I begin to accelerate into traffic and see an oncoming vehicle turning left coming straight at me. I slammed on my brakes and she just kept going forward. She eventually hit my headlight and smashed it and the rear panel by the rear tire of her car was dented in. I see her turn into a gas station and followed her. She had a 05 Mercury Mountainer. I went up to her and asked her if she had just gotten into a car accident, she said," Yes I just got hit by a 'phantom'. I am an insurance agent for State Farm."
Well I thought what a weird way to introduce yourself to someone, but said said OK.
She then said, " You can leave and I can file the report with the police by myself."

A red light went off in my head. This agent was telling me to leave a accident scene?!?!? Can we say hit and run?! I stayed I wasnt that stupid I wasnt going to let the lady who just hit me get away with it and pin it on me.

So I didnt trust the lady by then insurance agents know whats legal and not and she wanted me to do something illegal, she sounded fishy to me. Her husband arrived to shout at me and tell me how i hit his wife. He was an aggressive man. Part of my headlight was on the ground and he went up to it and starting kicking it next to me, I was scared.

The police arrive and they ask the usual; license, insurance, registration. I gave her a permit and registration and she cringed. She asked for my statement and I told her that the light was green so I began to accelerate into traffic. The man kept interrupting me and shouting at the officer that I had hit his wife, etc. He was in my face most the time and I asked the officer if she could keep him away because he scared me. She asked him to but he just shouted some more. After contemplating for a while the officer comes back and tells me that I am guilty that I ran a red light. I was confused I asked her how? She said a witness left her number with the agent and that the officer called the witness to confirm.
How can you as an officer believe that?! That is so easy to fake off, shes an insurance agent! She knows what she is doing.

By then my parents come giving me an ear full they didnt want to listen to a word I said and kept going on and on talking to the officer. The couple kept close listening to everything my parents said to me, I asked them politely to please go away that this was none of their business but they still kept close. Very nosy people.

I went to court in Oregon a few months later. I was cited for no insurance and failure to obey a traffic light. I was not cited for no license and the judge thought I had one from California! I think the officer was trying to let me off easy by doing that but I told the judge that I was from Washington. I paid all fines off and began to believe it was all my fault. I was just a young wreckless driver right?

A few months later I recieve a threatening letter from a firm associated with the agent's insurance claim saying I owed $5,331 and that an immediate payment of $1,000 was needed or else they would repo the sum of the bill in things we owned and suspend both my parent's licenses. So I worked my ass off, 12 hour day job and partime college/high school student. I worked hard trying to pay it off by at the $3,000 mark, I stopped because I was burned out. I never recieved another letter from them to this date and it has been at least a year since I payed them.

Thing is, when I would tell people my story they would say that the insurance company are suppose to send you quotes with a list of what was repaired, like a mechanic repair list. I did not recieve anything but threatening calls and letters of repos and taking away income tax checks. That firm had no mercy at all.

What is the insurance company intitled to send prior to any payments being made? Was I screwed by an insurance company and their agent?

Thanks I know this was long!

Cierra

ecmst12

The time to fight the insurance company saying you were at fault for the accident was back then. It's a bit late now. Now, they can try to sue you and then they'd have to prove you were at fault all over again, before they can do anything like garnishing wages or seizing property. I don't believe your parents' assets will be subject to seizure even if they DID get a judgement against you.

Of course, this is another reason why driving without insurance is so bad, because you have no one to fight on your behalf against finding you at fault for an accident. Now if they sue you, you will have to hire a lawyer.

Cierra

Right, thanks.

Yeah I was a little naive and I thought that since I was a minor they would not take me seriously. But I was wondering since I've heard this happen so many times, if the insurance lady got other things fixed on her car as well and they just sent the total bill to me?

I'm not sure you see, are they suppose to send you a quote with the damage? Or what was repaired, 5,000 seems a little to steep as all I had was a broken headlight. I think she might have had an issue with the car and got some other things replaced as well. I say this because I know people who have done that. I was in a class with a girl whose dad manages a dealership and got her a new honda and someone reared her and she was all excited because her dad said she can get other things fixed now too on the car.
I thought Oh great, doesnt that sound familiar.

Anyway, I do regret not saying anything but I was so young and no one wanted to listen anyway, teenagers cause so many accidents I can see why it was easy for them to blame me. I just dont think the process was handled too great.
Thanks for the reply I appreciate it!

FlyingRon

It is not necessary in Oregon to wait for the police. As long as you have exchanged info with the other driver you're free to go on your way.

Cierra

I actually thought that they only do that if the damage was not more tha 750 or no one was hurt?

moburkes

I actually thought that they only do that if the damage was not more tha 750 or no one was hurt?
Your parent's insurance may have covered the damage from the accident had you notified them. They would have promptly nonrenewed their policy, but it would have saved you the trouble that your being stupid caused.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">